Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

1979 Kz1300 A1 Replacement starter 1 year 6 months ago #30772

• giorgi3
  • giorgi3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks Kawboy, I was thinking along the same lines.

I actually have two 1979 KZ1300 A1 bikes. One starts flawlessly, the other has been cantankerous since the day I owned it (back in 1981). I'm thinking about swapping the starters and see if the problem moves before I tear down the starter motor.

In either case, I'm going to return the "Rick's starter", as I don't like the shorter length.

Thanks for the help.

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 Kz1300 A1 Replacement starter 1 year 6 months ago #30774

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Tear the starter apart and give it a good clean. Look at the solder joints between the rotor windings and the commutator ring.

Also, the starter relays on these bikes have been known to cause problems. it wouldn't hurt to open it up and check the contacts. Worse comes to worse it is possible to silver solder the faces of the contacts and then file them to a slight convex surface and then polish them with maybe 400 wet and dry sandpaper..

1979 Kz1300 A1 Replacement starter 1 year 6 months ago #30775

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
For what it's worth:
I service my starter every three to four years. Tear it down, give it a good "blow-out", clean-up the commutators, lube and reinstall. 
It's on it's second set of brushes. To clean-up the commutators I put the comm. end in my drill press (lower speed)  and use a strip of 400grit  
In my case, all this is doing is removing any surface contamination/discoloration.
The awkward part is re and re'ing the power cable. 
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

1979 Kz1300 A1 Replacement starter 1 year 6 months ago #30779

• giorgi3
  • giorgi3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks Scotch,

Could you explain the awkward part with the power cable?

Also, what do you use for lubing it?

Sorry to bother but I've never taken a starter apart before.

Last edit: by giorgi3.

1979 Kz1300 A1 Replacement starter 1 year 6 months ago #30781

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

I'm also curious if anyone has actually installed one of these starters on ebay?  It's supposed to have 20% more power than the OEM model.

Rick's Electric Starter Motor Kawasaki KZ1300A 1979-1981. 

I have installed the Rick's starter motor and had the same pain as yourself with the cable. I think I disconnected my cable from the solenoid so I could install the starter motor with the cable attached.

The starter motor performance is excellent - Mine always had trouble starting when hot but not with this motor. I think the winding insulation breaks down on the original starter motors when hot and reduces their performance. I would recommend one to all owners having starter issues - though they are VERY expensive - especially if you have to pay customs and import charges on one.

I posted a before and after video on here somewhere with my old starter motor and then the new one.

Before anyone tells me I'm wrong - I did fully strip my old motor(s), including windings out of the body, cleaned everything and installed new carbon brushes and their springs and still no good
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds