I just keep ordering up new parts for the beast and stock piling waiting for an opportunity to get on with it.
Next up, is a new series regulator from RM Stator. It's a series regulator rated at 50 amp. Model RMS022-006798.
I can't believe how long this post has been open. I REALLY need to get back to work on it. Frigging house renovations. Had it up to by eyebrows with them but happy wife, happy life I suppose.
In the meantime, I keep wandering by the site and watch you guys having fun working on your treasures. When help is asked for I try to help out with info.
Scotch posted a pic of his nylon tensioning gear and how it's possible to wear one right down to almost the bearing race. Now that's talent!! . I wouldn't be that lucky. I'm sure if I tried to master the same feat, God would pull the pin and grenade mine. So, I need to get ahead of the game. Bought a new Liska gear @ $99.50 USD + $35 USD shipping. Translated to Canadian dollars that's $174.00 Canadian. Cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned so I don't loose the nylon gear and destroy the valve train.
Liska did a really nice job machining these up. I'm impressed. The finish quality is awesome. I also like the fact that they installed lightning holes. Such a nice piece. Too bad it will be buried inside the engine. maybe I'll snap a nice photo and frame it for the shop wall along with a pic of that RM Stator series regulator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko, Neville
Har to believe that I started this "project " 7 years ago and still haven't finished it. Moved 3 times including having 2 houses built and then buying a third and spent 3 years renovating it. That said, I'm nearly at the point of breaking out the project and getting to work on it finally.
Z13phil got me thinking about the freaking pilot circuits again. How many times have we discussed this topic to death!! This time Z13phil mentioned that he is going to put a fuel pump on his beast in hopes of curing a long time fueling problem. He also mentioned about float level settings which caused me to pull out my rebuilt carbs that I had done 6 years ago and have another look at them..
I decided to pull them apart and see how they faired being in storage for such a long time and I also wanted to use the "Scotch's cleaning tool" on them. when I originally rebuilt the carbs, the cleaning tool was "in development" and not available at that time. i have since acquired the tool and have been looking forward to using it to see how much more crap can be removed from my rebuilt spotless carbs.
So I started with tearing down the 5-6 carb. All the carbs look great considering they've been boxed up. After tearing down the 5-6 carb, I started reviewing the pilot circuit, passage by passage and getting my head wrapped around the flow of fuel and air in the circuit. Flashlight in hand, check this, check that and then WTF??? Looking down the fuel supply port passage in the #5 main jet/emulsion tower, I see that the passage was not completely drilled out where the angular passage meets the vertical passage. Now that being said, the fuel flow through that blockage will still feed the orifice in the pilot jet so as far as consequences goes, it's probably not a big deal, but as far as cleaning/clearing the passage of debris, probably not as good as a clear passage would be. So I'll get out my number drill bits and a pin vise and clean out the burr that was left from the original machining and then carry on flushing with the cleaning tool.
When rebuilding carbs, attention to detail. Don't be afraid to use a flashlight and a magnifying glass or at least put on your reading glasses. Check, check, check!!!
Pic of the Main Jet/ Emulsion Tower
Pic of the #6 pilot fuel supply passage in the top of the tower showing what is a clear passage.
Pic of the #5 tower showing the incompletely drilled passage leading to the vertical passage.
Funny, or sad how life just seems to keep getting in the way. The wife wanted a 3 season sunroom on the back of the house. I got 5 quotes to have it done ranging from $43K-$65K CDN and I'm not made of gold, contrary to popular belief. So I said to Pat "Here I go again. the things I do to save us money !!"
tore the old desk off the back of the house and started erecting a new sunroom. 12ft x 19ft and of course it has to have a cathedral ceiling so a structural ridge beam and stick framing. It took me 5 hours today to get that 28ft 2 ply LVL ridge beam up 16 ft in the air. and
The old deck that came off
Where I'm at today.
After I finish this project, it's back to working on the bike.