Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Naked Voyager 1300 in the Desert 4 years 3 months ago #25648

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028

desertrefugee wrote: The riding experience is typical of 70's era bikes. It's a bit twitchy, top-heavy and tempermental, but a blast to ride. Not for the mechanically faint of heart. I'm into the carbs again for the third time in two years. They simply do not abide sitting around. Stinking idle jets gum up if you look at them sideways.
!

I've been preaching over the last few years the use of Stabil 360 fuel treatment for gas that sits around for more than 6 weeks. Fuel stabilizer for ethanol fuel will really help stop the fuel from breaking down and causing problems with the carbs. Lots of research in this area. I have a chainsaw with 3 year old fuel in it and it starts like a charm. Proof is in the pudding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Naked Voyager 1300 in the Desert 4 years 3 months ago #25651

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Speaking of Gold Wings, the current bike with dual clutch transmission is amazing . Has anybody here had any experience of one?

Naked Voyager 1300 in the Desert 4 years 3 months ago #25655

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I've read very bad stories about the Stabil usage. I'm not trying to question what Kawboys is saying, but I can't ignore what I've read. At the same time, I swear by my using nof Ethanol free gasoline. There is no grey are there - it's bullet proof. These carbs, and all the old bikes, were designed for ethanol free fuels. And a sa solution for safe winter or any long storage, why not to fill up and run the bike with ethanol free gas for once? If not available, it easy to make! Just dump some water in regular gas, shake it and let it sit. The added water will absorb the ethanol from gas and separate. It's easy to simply syphon the totally ethanol free gas now into another container. There are even videos about it on youtube if this sounds confusing. I am lucky here where I live - I get Ethanol free gas at the pump. Cost extra, yes, but it is not by that much in the long run. Especially that I have more than one bike to ride and the other one uses untreated regular gas with no problem. But if I was going to store it, I'd still fill it up and run with 100% Ethanol free for the peace of mind. I guarantee - when you will open the carburetor bowls after 6 months, they will look shiny as if they just came brand new out of factory.

Last edit: by StanG.

Naked Voyager 1300 in the Desert 4 years 3 months ago #25656

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Happy new year everyone.
That's what I have also being doing for a number of years as you mention Stan. Buy the best gasoline and leave it at that.

" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:

Naked Voyager 1300 in the Desert 4 years 3 months ago #25663

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Sta-Bil and Sta-Bil 360 are 2 completely different animals. I don't even know why they still sell Sta-Bil. 99% of all gasoline has Ethanol in it. It's extremely rare to find consistent suppliers of Ethanol free fuel. Sta-Bil (the pink stuff) is useless for Ethanol supplemented fuel. Sta-Bil sells for $9.99 for 236 ml here in Ontario. Sta-Bil 360 is $10.99 for the same size container. PAY THE EXTRA BUCK AND GET THE RIGHT STUFF !!!

It's not snake oil.

I've said enough and won't comment any further on this. You'll all just have to make up your own minds and follow your heart.

Happy New Year Everyone.
KB

Naked Voyager 1300 in the Desert 4 years 3 months ago #25665

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hahaha! It's a very touchy subject for Kawboy. All I'm saying is, why not to spend the extra buck and buy ethanol free if available, instead of buying ethanol containing gas and treating it for ethanol contamination? If drinking dirty water makes you sick, you stick to clean instead of continuing chasing antibiotics with dirty saying hey, no problem, I never get sick. And yes, making ethanol free is easy and Chevron does not contain Ethanol - I tested it. But if there are trace amounts, that's definitely less than the written 10%!

Alright. I know Kawboy has been hating me for pushing the ethanol issue for a long time, so I want poke him no more. Hahaha

It will be a good year!

PS. I did use the 360 on my Goldwing. Things went South... Switched to 0% and voila - all magically corrected itself in the carbs business. I always wander about all the 1300 carbs issues people have. Me, not a long time user, but since day one and a lot of parking, my A4 has never had any carb issues. Starts at the press of the run button after sitting in a cold open parkade in winter. Coincidence? Unlikely.

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds