• Page:

TOPIC:

Name That Engine Guard! 2 years 10 months ago #29253

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I just bought this used engine guard from a guy up in British Columbia, but unfortunately it didn't come with any install info or data.  Can anybody identify the manufacturer or have any documentation?

I know this isn't exactly Rocket Magic, but I don't want to miss anything!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Name That Engine Guard! 2 years 10 months ago #29254

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
At the risk of asking a dumb question: is that guard supposed to be for a 1300?  I'm having a tough time visualizing (my guess is you are too) where those top two brackets bolt to.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Name That Engine Guard! 2 years 10 months ago #29255

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Not dumb at all!

The eBay description:
"KAWASAKI KZ 1300 CRASH BARS" That's all. On the other hand, the "saddles" in this second attachment are exactly the same spacing as the front down-tubes, and the attachments at the open ends of the bar are "plausible" in their placement.

I really haven't done my "due diligence" as far as sitting down for an hour and doing some serious chin-scratching, because I was hoping to save some time by throwing this out to the group.  The general fitment looks just like many of the engine guards I've seen on 1300s pictured on the Web.
Attachments:

Name That Engine Guard! 2 years 10 months ago #29256

• roadhazard
  • Thank you received: 6
Don't know the manufacturer but i have on of these on my B2. The two u-shaped pieces with the saddles next to them go under the lower radiator mounts and the other ends with the holes use the lower front motor mount bolt. It's a genuine pain in the butt to get this thing mounted unless you have a helper.
1980 Kz 1300 b2 touring
1980 kz 1300 A2

Last edit: by roadhazard. Reason: mis-spelling

Name That Engine Guard! 2 years 10 months ago #29259

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I had these bars on my B2 also. I took them off for some maintenance and never put them back on as, as roadhazard says, they are a real pain to get on or off
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Name That Engine Guard! 2 years 10 months ago #29263

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
So, these don't fit as-is on my '82 because the second alternator on the left won't fit inside the loop. I'm totally fine with that, and will find a welder who can extend the upper tube as needed.

On the other hand, the RIGHT side doesn't seem to have enough "reach" to curve around the right-side alternator and still attach to the front engine mount. I could certainly be missing something, so please set me straight as necessary. Some simple spacers aren't a problem.

If this isn't a 1300 part, don't hesitate to tell me, because I can certainly make it fit.

Apart from that, it doesn't seem like THAT hard of an install for a guy who is used to working alone.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds