TOPIC:

1982 Minor Repairs to Factory Seat 3 years 7 months ago #27603

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
www.flickr.com/photos/rdurost/50246036163/in/dateposted-public/

The seat on my '82 is in very reasonable condition, but as you can see, there are some scars here and there. What I'm looking for is some kind of thick black goo in a bottle with a brush in the cap, or similar. I do have a tube of "Shoe Goo," which is used to make repairs in the soles of running shoes. As such, I imagine it would stick well to a lot of different kinds of materials, but it's pretty messy and not that easy to control.

The idea is to fill in the scars, to protect the foam and keep the split from opening up any more. Secondarily to improve the appearance. Something with structural strength, that is, not just black paint or marking pen.

I remember there were/are "vinyl repair kits" that were supposed to allow such a repair, and even to apply a surface pattern or texture to make the repair less obvious, but I've never used one.

What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rdurost.

1982 Minor Repairs to Factory Seat 3 years 7 months ago #27604

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
For plan "B" what do you think about PitReplica in Thailand?

Last edit: by rdurost.

1982 Minor Repairs to Factory Seat 3 years 7 months ago #27605

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Can't speak to PitReplica in Tialand but I have seen a number of members replace their seat covers with a manufactured cover from Old School Covers in the UK. Check out Old School Covers on EBay

As far as a seat repair with a vinyl repair kit- You won't be happy. I tried a repair kit on a vinyl dash cover on the Porsche 928. Followed the instructions and the final look was really good. 3 weeks later after being in the sun, the crack showed up again and let's remember, I hadn't been sitting on it like a motorcycle seat.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

1982 Minor Repairs to Factory Seat 3 years 7 months ago #27648

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

rdurost wrote: For plan "B" what do you think about PitReplica in Thailand?

Lots of CBXXXXF bike owners have use the PitReplica seat covers and been very happy with the results.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

1982 Minor Repairs to Factory Seat 3 years 7 months ago #27652

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I took delivery of the seat cover today, and I must say that it looks like a winner, especially for $60, postpaid. It arrived in my USPS mailbox via DHL, in FIVE DAYS. From THAILAND. It does need to be installed over a bare foam pad (i.e. you have to cut off the original cover) but that is how it really needs to be done anyway. I couldn't pass this up for the money, and the recommendation, but I intend to use the "VG" factory original until it gets too scroungy, then slip on this beauty!

I know that shipping from Asia is a bit of a crap shoot, and largely a matter of timing, but still, that is amazing!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds