• Page:

TOPIC:

Fixing and painting front fender etc. 4 years 11 months ago #24084

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I think the pictures speak for themselves. I need to fix these before painting. The fender was media blasted, so all questionable elements are gone. Just solid steel left.

The dent was filled with bondo before, but I'd like to straighten it out as much as possible. Would a propane torch to soften the steel be enough?

The rusted holes - they are solid. Now, brazing or bondo again? I think bondo should work, but I am not a pro.

As to what after. Do I need to stick to one particular brand or type of filling, paint, lacquer, all the way through?
What would be the recommended brands? I understand it needs a primer, base coat, color coat, and clear coat. How many each?

Thank you in advance.

Stan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fixing and painting front fender etc. 4 years 11 months ago #24090

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
It looks like there are more rust bubbles on the underside. First you would have to remove any hint of old rust.

IMO. bondo is only a temporary fix for rust. Your issue is the metal around the hole is thin. So not only do you have a hole, but you have a more significant area that the metal is weak. I think most professionals would say you have to cut it out and weld in new metal.

Personally, I'd get a replacement from down south....

Fixing and painting front fender etc. 4 years 11 months ago #24100

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
It was media blasted, there is zero rust and the edges are very solid. I left them as they are now, not being sure what direction this should go, considering the possibility that if using bondo, maybe jb-weld type filler, having jugged edges would increase the bonding surface and make it stronger.

I got this fender South the border, and it looked fine. The dent was filled with bondo, you couldn't tell it was there, and what looked like surface rust blemishes turned out to be these small holes. Yes, I know other fenders show up, but I've already paid for this one plus for the media blasting.. I think this fender can be saved. There is no rush as it's just a spare body kit I've assembled, which will need fixing and painting. I'm planning on doing all the fixing and painting myself. If I find a fender in good condition and affordable, why not. But this one doesn't need to go to scrap yet.

Last edit: by StanG.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds