• Page:

TOPIC:

Removing a stuck fuel cap from tank without damage 5 years 2 months ago #23302

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I just thought I'd post this and save a few fuel caps from damage. If there is no key, or the cap is stuck, or the lock damaged, it's easy to remove it by tapping the pin in the hinge out.
There are openings on each corner end of the cover and they are made just for that - good thinking on the Kawasaki part.

With the pin out the whole assembly will easy lift and come off the tank. No problem if the latch is stuck in 'close' position' (there is a small spring behind it but it can be stuck if the tank is old and full of rust). Now, the two screws holding the cap bracket to the tank are ready to unscrew. If they break off - it's straight forward to drill them out, use extractor and clean them up with a thread tap.

It is seemingly straight forward obvious and simple, but can be missed. Hope this helps.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko, biltonjim, zed_thirteen, Neville

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

Removing a stuck fuel cap from tank without damage 5 years 2 months ago #23303

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Good to know! Thanks for posting Stan.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Removing a stuck fuel cap from tank without damage 5 years 2 months ago #23316

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Another follow up as I think this will really clear things up, and I've also learnt something along the way.

There is a drum in the middle as you see, and that drum rotates when turning the key and opens the latch. This wasn't moving, so I thought perhaps the key doesn't fit the lock, or those little knobs inside the key drum are stuck. Wrong!

I've heard it before, that any key should actually fit the fuel cap. And I can confirm it. If the key goes all the way in and it doesn't turn, the problem is having this middle drum stuck.

The drum has an o-ring to keep the fuel in. It finally moved and popped out. After a quick clean up - all works!

That's all to it. Final thoughts...

If there is no key to the fuel cap - any KZ1300 key is good as the lock is just a straight forward smooth slot inside. In fact, a screw driver that goes all the way in should open the cap without any damage. If it doesn't turn - it's because either the latch is stuck, or the drum is stuck. The most inner drum, the one buried inside the lid and doesn't come out, might be stuck as well. It's equally easy to free it with some penetrating oil. The fuel cap can be easily removed from the tank by tapping out the hinge pin. Then it can be serviced as all comes apart. Once clean and all parts free - it's as good as new. No need for drilling or any other destructive measures. There is no standard key drum like in the ignition or a helmet latch. That's all!

With the key inserted.

Without the key.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LareNurminen, McBoney, mlyle11

Last edit: by StanG.

Removing a stuck fuel cap from tank without damage 5 years 5 days ago #23855

• mlyle11
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Good thing I read this before I got to mad... I may have saved the cap... Thank you Stan!!!
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300
Attachments:

Removing a stuck fuel cap from tank without damage 5 years 5 days ago #23856

• mlyle11
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Tank 2 not near as bad - but still... what a mess!
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds