Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29973

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I would check with Cometic and get them to make you a new gasket with 63 mm fire rings. They have the template and can do this easily.

That's a better option !  And less expensive.

Keep us informed, please  DC.

Good idea KB.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29974

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
OEM head gasket, 10 years ago, no leaks
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29976

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I'm using cruisin-image head-gasket with the larger fire rings for their 1370 kit.

I did use yamabond 3660 (I think that's what iti was called) to create a ring of sealant around each of the water jackets top and bottom - no leaks yet after a couple of years. I do worry that I put too much on though and it may be obstructing some of the coolant passages.

I also ordered a spare just in case I need to have the head off again.

I have been considering, for a while, laser cutting some sort of templates to mask each water jacket for sealant. Not sure how I would get the registration correct though for eah application and make sure that the first side doesnt' get damaged when it flipped to do the opposite side
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Head gasket 2 years 4 months ago #30005

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
The OEM head-gasket ordered through a dealer and supplied by Kawasaki Japan, arrived today. A  1 hour round trip and ........ returned home empty handed.
Shipped on a flimsy piece of cardboard it had been bent in the middle (front to back) and the material was badly creased and showed evidence of if starting to crack !

So now I wait for a replacement.   I suggested to the dealer that he include a note with the re0order "suggesting" the gasket be shipped with a more substantial backing. 

WTF !    Can't seem to catch a break with these !

Head gasket 2 years 4 months ago #30006

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
What a b******.  All because some bone head was too stupid- or too lazy - to pack the gasket adequately.  A piece of plywood or hardboard would have avoided damage.
 You’ve certainly had more than your share of difficulties with this rebuild - rings, exhaust gaskets, leaking head gasket, and now this.  It’ll all be forgotten when that six is singing its song again!

Head gasket 2 years 4 months ago #30008

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
 It’ll all be forgotten when that six is singing its song again!

When I decided to take the bike off the road on July 29  to start this work, it was because the 100 degree heat and the choking forest fire smoke made riding unbearable.  I had collected all the bits-n-pieces by this time so it seemed logical to proceed.  Ironically I had naively estimated I'd be breaking in the engine in 2-3 weeks !   HA !  
 blah blah blah and here I am.   The decision to replace the Cruzinimage rings and purchase the IMD's was my "delay".  Compare these two brands (in hand) and you'll understand.  Delay accepted.  The New valves were at the machine-shops request.  Delay accepted.  I expected I'd  be replacing pistons but decided to wait on the machinists verdict. The valves were as much as a new set of pistons so no $$$ issue there.  Already had a new Forseti cam-chain.  The measurements  - new to old - were so close I kept the original chain.  I had the Liska C/C sprocket.  I made a new CCT rubber roller.  No concerns !  
And then of course:   the "Italianmetals"  head gasket.  Thought I was going to puke when the gasket started doing the same......before I could even get the rad-cap on !
Can't help but wonder now, "What else can possibly go wrong next"?  The answer seems obvious (to me).  The reorder of the Kawasaki gasket will be handled by the same jack-ass that filled the first order and it too will arrive damaged.  In this situation I will keep reordering until "someone"  gets their shit together.  If that means I deplete Kawasaki's entire inventory of head gaskets to get ONE  that's perfect ; well.......sorry !  (not) 

"Kawboy": A  "Cometic" head-gasket is a final option. 

And of course: Something as ridiculously mundane as a set of 6 header gaskets that are too large to fit the head?  

"Karma" apparently has Sisters and they have clearly ganged-up, for this project !  

Aside from the "issues"  it's been an interesting journey which I've enjoyed.  Not overly complicated or challenging, work-wise.  

It’ll all be forgotten when that six is singing its song again!

NO....it won't !         And   THAT,  will be the icing on the cake.  

It's the "waiting" that's the Bitch

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds