Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29953

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I've been waiting about 1 week to post this. Needed some time to sort things out - or attempt to.
This is unedited copy-n-pastes between myself and "Italianmetals". The source of my head gasket (kit)
So as I continue "Chew on my own words" you can read the following (I sent the following photos also) and come to your own conclusions.
To: Italianmetals.  I purchased this gasket set:  ORDER DATE May 22, 2020  ORDER NUMBER  332681059899-1767730477014
I purchased this gasket set  well in advance of a top-end rebuild inclusive of New Valves, cyl-head work including "shaving" the head. It took this long to collect all the parts required. Last week I assembled the engine using your head gasket. Within minutes of filling the cooling system the gasket started leaking all the way around. Torque was checked ( Done per the manual). I torqued an additional 5lbs and the leaking continued ! Today I tore the top end apart and was disgusted with the head gasket ! The "enbossed" pattern did not "squish-out". The only indication that this gasket had been installed and torqued was by the fact that the silicone seals around the coolant ports was completely compressed AND had the embossed pattern inbedded in them. So in other words - The very nature of the material used and the embossed texture allowed coolant to pretty much go where ever it wanted ! This head gasket is garbage. I've supplied photos. I requesting a refund based on this explanation with the photos as proof. I am expecting a response. ! I am hoping I won't have to pursue this further.Respectfully, at this time. wcmic
 New message from: italianmetals Top Rated Seller(13,995YellowShooting Star)Hello WCMIC,I am sorry to hear about the issue with your engine. I have sold 100’’s of these gaskets sets all of the works since 2003 and have NEVER had a issue. I personally have had them installed on my bike as well. It’s one of our best sellers and even sell them wholesale to shops all over the world. The material is Germán. The best. I am sorry but this does not add up.RegardsCRT
 and .....I forgot to mention: The exhaust Gaskets are too large to fit into the head !So much for your German engineering.For the record: I am the original owner of this '80 1300.....so I know what I'm talking about.
I'll be including this dialogue in my Re-build thread on the KZ1300USA Forum.

New message from: italianmetals Top Rated Seller(13,996YellowShooting Star)Please let everyone know that your the first guy to have a problem with my gasket set. Honesty is the best policy. Cheers
That's the end of the correspondence and I'm the FIRST GUY !!!!!      "Well - Don't I feel freakin' lucky!"  
I was told about 1 year ago that OEM gaskets were unavailable. Last week I called another local Kaw. dealer. Two minutes "on hold" was rewarded with a YES. They come directly from Kawasaki Japan !   Old stock or recently manufactured - I don't know. At least there's some hope that they've been stored appropriately (?), regardless. Even during these current times, the dealer indicated that parts coming from Japan arrive at the dealership in 2-3 weeks. I have one on the way.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29954

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
"Red' seals on the top of the gasket, only.

Attachments:

Last edit: by scotch.

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29955

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Looking at your pic, even where the red silicone? was applied, it didn't fill in the voids in the gasket material. The bottom side of the gasket should have also had the silicone fill IMHO. On top of all of this Italianmetal didn't offer up any resolve to the issue. Didn't ask how you installed the head using ..... Terrible customer support. I feel your pain.

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29958

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
With an unusable set of Cruizinimage Rings, this head gasket and the old valves:  I will create a unique piece of wall-art.

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29959

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Tbh the red 'sealant' around the waterways looks to be a token gesture, the OEM version has a proper bead of silicone (?) that is at least 1 to 2 mm thick both sides. Pattern gasket makers don't seem to be able to replicate that. Good news that OEM cyl. head gaskets are still available.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Head gasket 2 years 5 months ago #29960

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
the red 'sealant' around the waterways looks to be a token gesture, the OEM version has a proper bead of silicone (?) that is at least 1 to 2 mm thick both sides.

Prior to installing, the red sealant was a raised bead - about, but no more then 1mm.  And to be clear - The leak was "static" - No cap, No pressure.  Hadn't even got to the point where I would crank-up some oil pressure prior to opening fuel and starting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds