Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Piston rings 2 years 6 months ago #29877

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Well  -  the rings are on the pistons.   Can't understand how rings get broken.  They go on and off effortlessly with a gentle touch !    
Just have to orient the "gaps" correctly and some assembly can begin.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Piston rings 2 years 6 months ago #29878

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Was the ring end gap within specification, or was some adjustment needed? Is there a ‘top’ ring with this brand, or are both compression rings the same?
I’m looking forward to hearing how the reassembly goes.
Have you decided how to bed-in the new rings?  There seems to be differing opinions on how this is best done - if done at all.

www.motorcycleproject.com/text/engine_assembly.html

Last edit: by biltonjim.

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29879

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
A new day, fresh panties and the steam has cleared.
The differences between the Cruzinimage and IMD rings is apparent, immediately out of the packaging. IMD: Top and bottom rings are obviously unique.in appearance (material) and in ring width. The top ring being narrower. Ring edges are (razor) sharp. The oil ring assembly is typical. The gaps are good - no adjustment required.
I made the mistake of Googling for "ring clocking". Our manual gives us the ring end positions. What I discovered in my search was that these clocking positions vary from manufacturer. I wonder why? Another conflict arises when investigating the oil-rings spacer. Some are adamant that the ends of the oil spacer go UP. Others state they must go down.  Some don't differentiate; noting only that the ends must not over-lap.
I called the machine shop for their opinion and was told: Oil spacer - ends up OR down. No difference. I'll position the 2 upper rings per the manual.
  Other then an initial start and warm up (with some RPM varying) to burp the cooling system , Break-in will have to wait 'till Spring. 
Still can't assemble.  I ordered a set of VITON seals on July 29.  Hadn't arrived by Oct 4 so informed the seller (EBAY) and was told another set was on the way. 

stanG noted in his rebuild post his concern about C.I. rings and eventually went to IMD (I believe).

supplement - 30 minutes later:  The seals arrived !      

Last edit: by scotch.

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29880

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Well:  "Karma" came to visit me today !  Installed all the valve-stem seals only to realize that the spring-seat plate doesn't fit over them.  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.& !
Made a tool to remove them.  Yeah !     11 out - no problem.  That's when Karma stepped in and made me ruin the last one !  @#$%(&$.....(&%#% !
I guess I shouldn't have "suggested" anything nefarious  about UPS, yesterday ? 
So,  "Something for others to remember". 

While it's on my mind, I'll mention something else.  CLEANLINESS !  The machine shop "dunked" my head ( the one off the 1300 )  to de-carbon it.  After the machining work they washed it.
None-the-less, I went at the cyl.'s  - several times and was surprised at the residual that came off, on a rag.  I kept cleaning until the cyl.'s  passed the "white glove" test.  After doing some other details on the head I thought it prudent to wash the whole thing again.  What washed out of the coolant and oil passages really surprised me.  What I thought was a just  "little extra work" created enough debris that apparently got into everything !  Used some lacquer thinner for the final washes and that solved that concern.
My point:  Don't assume anything ! 

Now:  I'm going to offer to take Karma for dinner and MAYBE she'll be nice, wave her magic wand or what ever it is she carries,  and make the original order of seals show up ( Remember - that one got lost) 

Sheesh ! 

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29952

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Well: That "lost" set of Valve-stem seals actually showed-up !
Now have a spare set for the next 93,000 rebuild

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29956

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Well: That "lost" set of Valve-stem seals actually showed-up !

it would be worth $5 just to see if he would send you one more seal so you had a full set. I'd try him on for size.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds