Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29846

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I've got the engine parts back from the machine shop and went to install the new "Cruzinimage" rings and have an issue.
The oil-rings - no concern.  It's differentiating between the top two.  Both marked with an "R" for this-side-up.  One is marked with red.... and this is my problem.  Both of these top rings appear to have an identical profile (under magnification).   There is no reference as to which position this "red' ring is to be in,  
How "freakin" simple would it be for "someone" to have marked the diagram with a RED dot next to the appropriate location ?  Geez !

No response from C.I. 

Anyone ?

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29847

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
As a rule, the top ring would have more chrome , be thicker measuring from the ID/OD dimension and thinner in thickness top to bottom. Most of the time I've seen the top ring indicated with paint, usually white but sometimes red.
Here's hoping Cruzin Image replies to your email

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29848

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Is it a trick of the light, or is the painted ring a brighter finish?  If so, that likely bears out what Kawboy said about the chrome on the top ring.

This makes for interesting reading:
www.motorcycleproject.com/text/cylinders_done_right.html

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29849

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
That adds to the dilemma kawboy.  Both are identical in measurement.  I ordered the rings some time ago and immediately emailed "Crusinimage" asking for some clarity.  No response.  it's been several days now since my most recent inquiry and still no answer.  Again;  How hard would it be to indicate this with a red dot on the diagram ? 
As for Material difference?    I can see none.  The only thing that differentiates the two is the RED marking on one of the rings.
If I have to buy another set of rings from another source, that specifically details the ring stack-order - then that's what I'm willing to do.  All for the lack of a $1:00 red pen !  @#$%^&* !

I "searched" piston rings in this forum and apparently I'm not the only one to raise this question.  Notably;  a complete lack of response to inquiries.
When you have this much money and time invested in a rebuild this is nonsense and is enough for me to suggest to NOT buy Crusinimage rings. If they can't be bothered to answer a simple question then   #$%^&&  'em!

Last edit: by scotch.

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29850

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Last of the ring-ranting....for now !

Duh !

Something else I noticed.  The "R" notations on the two top rings have been hand engraved !  Not impressed. 

Attachments:

Piston rings 2 years 5 months ago #29851

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Regular priceIMDKAWASAKI Z1300 KZ1300 ZN1300 VOYAGER PISTON RING SET (6)Regular price  $296.00

Crusinimage
79-82 KAWASAKI KZ1300 STANDARD PISTON RINGS 62mm 6RINGS INCLUDED$59.95

This should have been a warning ! 
I have an inquiry in to IMD   Lets see how long it takes to get a response from them ! 

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds