• Page:

TOPIC:

Timing Marks. 2 years 7 months ago #29760

• McZee
  • McZee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
I’m now at the stage of re-assembling my 1300 and I want to re-fit the camshafts. I can see timing marks on the generator rotor and on the cams but I’m unsure how they all align. I have the Motorcycle service manual for the bike but cant seem to find the page that describes the correct procedure. Any advice from the boffins on here would be greatly appreciated.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing Marks. 2 years 7 months ago #29761

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

McZee post=29760 userid=1644I’m now at the stage of re-assembling my 1300 and I want to re-fit the camshafts. I can see timing marks on the generator rotor and on the cams but I’m unsure how they all align. I have the Motorcycle service manual for the bike but cant seem to find the page that describes the correct procedure. Any advice from the boffins on here would be greatly appreciated. 

Pages 66,67 of the KZ1300 Service manual describe the procedure. This sets the camshaft timing at #1 cylinder top dead center on ignition/cylinder fire. Note that the timing chain must be taunt on the front side of the engine when checking that all the marks are as positioned in diagrams  E78 and E80.  
Although it doesn't specifically say it in the manual, when you drop in the camshafts and tighten down the caps, you really should have the camshafts and crankshaft  located as if everything is timed so that you don't have to move the camshafts anymore than necessary to time everything. It is possible to bend valves  rotating the camshafts independent of each other as there is a certain amount of interferrence and it is possible for valve faces to contact each other as they pass by each other.

Timing Marks. 2 years 7 months ago #29762

• McZee
  • McZee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Thank's for the info Kawboy. I went right thru the manual and couldn't find that information, old age doesn't help. I'm going to have to stop taking things apart if I can't put them back together again.

Timing Marks. 2 years 7 months ago #29763

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Thank's for the info Kawboy. I went right thru the manual and couldn't find that information, old age doesn't help. I'm going to have to stop taking things apart if I can't put them back together again.

Better to stop and ask questions before making a serious mistake and having to redo all the work over again at a cost. One other member did a similar valve job and did exactly what I've warned you about and bent one or two valves. Just be aware of the risks and manage them. Service manuals are a great reference for the educated but certainly not a training manual for first timers. Experience is gained either by sound training or learning by mistakes. My Dad always said that I would learn life's lessons by the "School of hard knocks" I'm sure at one point he wanted to give me a Degree in Stupidity because I surely earned it.

Timing Marks. 2 years 7 months ago #29773

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Kind of a side issue about the timing marks- but timely for me as I'm doing the same thing on this very early edition bike.

The timing marks on the camshaft sprockets as shown in all the manuals and bikes I've seen are a punch marks.
Not so on this set.

[/attachment] [attachment=10631]thumbnail_IMG_1192.jpg[/attachment
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Last edit: by tackelhappy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds