Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 z1300 manual tensioner 2 years 9 months ago #29319

• Simontwo
  • Simontwo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello  I have a 1979  z1300 with 20,000 miles on it has original  tensioner  on it I want to fit manual  tensioner  can I simply  unbolt old tensioner  and fit new one and adjust  up and adjust  and that's it start up.and hope  for the best thanks  simon 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 z1300 manual tensioner 2 years 9 months ago #29320

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Absolutely not. Because the cams may not sit still during your removal/replacement, the cams may jump a tooth. You have to guarantee that when your swap the tensioner out, that nothing moves. After getting the new tensioner in, you must adjust out the slack in the timing chain, then check the timing marks on both of the cams, then  roll the crank around with a wrench and check the timing of the cams again and I say this because sometimes especially with the manual tensioner, you may not have taken up all of the slack in the timing chain. As you roll the crankshaft around, check the timing chain for looseness and adjust up as required. ( You'll understand what I'm talking about as your doing it) If you do something stupid like roll it around on the starter and one of the cams ( or both) are out of time, you'll bend a valve(s) and then you'll be pulling the head.

1979 z1300 manual tensioner 2 years 9 months ago #29322

• Simontwo
  • Simontwo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi thanks for  your  reply  I read a other thread about  removing   and replacing  6 mm bolt and  fitting  longer  bolt. With  lock nut  does this work   thanks  simon  from Australia 

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds