• Page:

TOPIC:

Oil passage Nozzle 3 years 1 month ago #28930

• fineline
  • fineline's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 9
I'm just in the process of rebuilding my top end after new rings and cylinder hone etc. But I'm unsure what the manual means by "check to see that the oil passage nozzle does not protrude from the mating surface" on page 74. I hadn't noticed any oil passage nozzle, I'm worried I missed or lost something?:huh: Can anyone shed any light in that? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil passage Nozzle 3 years 1 month ago #28931

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Not sure if this will help or not. In the 6 years of being on the site, this is the first time someone has questioned the existence of this orifice, but I'll try to explain it best as I can.
Most engines have a flow control orifice in the block to control the amount of oil going to the cylinder head. Usually the orifice is about 1mm (.040") and is removeable so that any debris in the passage can be flushed out if the debris is larger than .040". Most engines I've worked on (mostly automotive) have had a brass orifice but it wouldn't surprise me if Kawasaki made an aluminum one. I would expect to find a brass one.
Looking at the picture, item #3, if you look in the passage in the cylinder block at the indicated passage, if the orifice is there, you'll see the .040" orifice. If the passage looks open, then absorb the oil in the passage out of the top 1/2" of the passage, and you should see a step in the passage for the orifice to sit on. If you see the step, then you know that the orifice is missing and you may have blown it out of the passage when clearing out the passages with compressed air or it may be sitting in the bath that you used to wash the cylinder block in.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko, fineline

Oil passage Nozzle 3 years 1 month ago #28932

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Kawboy! Obscure questions...that really is typically me :whistle: That does make sense to me.
At first I was looking in the wrong ish place (the first 2 pics) Then after your reply I re looked under my cylinder block (last pic) and it has a channel that seems to lead to the shaft of the middle of the 2 gears. Is that it? There's nothing there at all, and I don't remember seeing anything. It's been cleaned in the machine shops cleaner when the hone was done. They already lost one of my piston pin clips so there's no chance of me finding that...besides I'm not sure how to even describe what it looks like.
In the first 2 pics there seems to be what looks like a grub or set screw in there which looks to be blocking it off.
Attachments:

Oil passage Nozzle 3 years 1 month ago #28934

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

fineline wrote: In the first 2 pics there seems to be what looks like a grub or set screw in there which looks to be blocking it off.

That could very well be your orifice. Try cleaning it with a Q-tip and see if the 1mm bleed hole is in the middle of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Oil passage Nozzle 3 years 1 month ago #28936

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Kawboy! You're right, after cleaning with a q-tip there was indeed a small hole in the middle. I just poked a bit of wire down to make sure it was clear. That must be the oil passage nozzle then. That's a relief. I can push on with the rebuild.:) Thanks again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds