Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1300 Big Bore Reliability 3 years 2 months ago #28799

• Nickomycousin
  • Nickomycousin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone, recently got my hands on a crusuing image big bore kit for my kz1300 (1370 big bore kit). I believe it's a 2mm larger size bore, and was just wondering how reliable this big bore kit is, how my engine would be with the much thinner cylinder walls, and how I should re-jet my carbs
Thanks to all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1300 Big Bore Reliability 3 years 2 months ago #28808

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I recall these big bore kits being mentioned on several occasions here on the forum. Member zed_thirteen fitted one. Maybe he’ll chime in.

KZ1300 Big Bore Reliability 3 years 2 months ago #28809

• Aleksey
  • Thank you received: 13
поставил себе на zn 1300 такой 5 лет назад, пробег около 300000 км. компрессия в норме, расхода масла нет. но мне кажется сильнее греется в пробках.
I set myself this on zn 1300 5 years ago, the mileage is about 300,000 km. compression is normal, no oil consumption. but it seems to me that it gets hotter in traffic jams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

KZ1300 Big Bore Reliability 3 years 2 months ago #28812

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I have one fitted and it's running at the moment but not yet on the road. I taxed it on the morning of 4th January and we went into another lock-down later that day so I still haven't got the damn thing out onto the road yet for a proper test. I had a lot of trouble with coolant leaking from the weep hole that kept the bike off the road for ages - nothing to do with big bore kit - just trouble with mechanical seal after rebuilding

The quality of the big bore it is fine. There are better pistons available but these should be fine for my light use. I used the head gasket that came with the kit rather than a standard Kawasaki one as I was worried about the size of the fire-ring compressing in the bore rather than outside of the bore . Because of this you have to put some sealant (Yambond 13?? or something like that) around the water jacket holes.

I also broke one of the rings during installation. I had to buy a complete set of 6 sets from cruzin image but I believe they have since offered buyers single sets.

I start both of my bikes in the garage every weekend for a few minutes just to keep things lubricated. My Z13 kicks out tons of white smoke on starting (it always has done and was the reason I did the rebore - could be guides?) but as yet I don't know if it clears when the engine is up to temp
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

KZ1300 Big Bore Reliability 3 years 2 months ago #28813

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Single cylinder components: www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=330781631265...t=a.3307816695990532

kit: www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=330783686265...t=a.3307816695990532
(Standard fire ring is about 63mm and big bore fire ring is about 67mm)

Big bore piston was 4g lighter than standard piston: www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=330784026598...t=a.3307816695990532
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy, Kawboy

Last edit: by zed_thirteen.

KZ1300 Big Bore Reliability 3 years 2 months ago #28814

• Nickomycousin
  • Nickomycousin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the response and insight. Have you had any concerns about how thin the cylinder walls become after boring 2mm off for the big bore kit?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds