TOPIC:

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28502

• fineline
  • fineline's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 9

strate6 wrote:

Stiggy wrote: Someone did a load test on the OEM tensioner spring and stated that the pressure is about 1000grams. The spring tension of a popular option was measured at 2000 grams. ( if I remember this correctly) If you're intuitive, you can see where this comment is going.

I fitted an alternative spring to my GPZ1100 tensioner , as follows....

Ebay Item number 331459306709 size 85mm long, dia 5.63mm, wire dia 0.63mm material Stainless Steel, R 2.77
It has resulted in a loading as you mention of around 990 grams.

STIGGY,
That is very valuable and useful information on the spring you have found available.
Well done and thank you.

Having owned over ten Z1300's over the last 40 years and serviced many more for other owners, I have fitted the GPZ/ZZR1100 Tensioner to all of them and not one has had any issues or wear problems. All have had 10cm cut off the standard spring, but your find does give the tensioner the "stock" level of strength so should silence the "scheptics" .................but then again probably wont as ever !!

The main danger of using a tensioner with no spring, is that if the Nylon Idler Gear or Rubber Gear FAIL (which they often do) then there will be enough "slack" on the cam chain for it to jump a link on the cams and......................well the rest you can guess !

Spring loaded tensioners are definitely the safest and best.

Regards

Pete F
UK

I didn't think of what could happen if a locked tensioner meets disintegrated rubber. I might have to look at the ZZR tensioner again. Coupled with the lighter spring could be great! It was always the higher spring pressure on the nylon/rubber that worried me.

As you can see my rubber wheel didn't fare so well..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28506

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

Stiggy wrote: Someone did a load test on the OEM tensioner spring and stated that the pressure is about 1000grams. The spring tension of a popular option was measured at 2000 grams. ( if I remember this correctly) If you're intuitive, you can see where this comment is going.

Ebay Item number 331459306709 size 85mm long, dia 5.63mm, wire dia 0.63mm material Stainless Steel, R 2.77

Are you referring to the ZZR1100 / ZX-11 tensioner, or are the GPZ1100 tensioners the same thing / same part number?
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28509

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Phil,

The ZZR1100 / ZZR1200 / ZRX1100 / ZRX1200 and the last model of GPZ1100 all have the same design and fitment CC Tensioner.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28510

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

fineline wrote:

strate6 wrote:

STIGGY,
That is very valuable and useful information on the spring you have found available.
Well done and thank you.

Having owned over ten Z1300's over the last 40 years and serviced many more for other owners, I have fitted the GPZ/ZZR1100 Tensioner to all of them and not one has had any issues or wear problems. All have had 10cm cut off the standard spring, but your find does give the tensioner the "stock" level of strength so should silence the "scheptics" .................but then again probably wont as ever !!

The main danger of using a tensioner with no spring, is that if the Nylon Idler Gear or Rubber Gear FAIL (which they often do) then there will be enough "slack" on the cam chain for it to jump a link on the cams and......................well the rest you can guess !

Spring loaded tensioners are definitely the safest and best.

Regards

Pete F
UK

I didn't think of what could happen if a locked tensioner meets disintegrated rubber. I might have to look at the ZZR tensioner again. Coupled with the lighter spring could be great! It was always the higher spring pressure on the nylon/rubber that worried me.

As you can see my rubber wheel didn't fare so well..

SO AS YOU CAN SEE FROM ABOVE................A LOCKED OR UNSPRUNG TENSIONER FITTED HERE WOULD HAVE ALLOWED THE CAM CHAIN TO BE DANGEROUSLY LOOSE WHEN THIS HAPPENS RESULTING IN MASSIVE ENGINE DAMAGE.......FACT.
FAR LESS........ OR NO LIKELYHOOD OF THIS HAPPENING WITH A SPRING TENSIONER AS IT WOULD AT LEAST TAKE UP MOST OR IF NOT ALL OF THE CHAIN SLACK.

NO ARGUMENT THERE....................JUST 100% FACT.............SPRING TENSIONERS ARE DEFINITELY SAFER.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28518

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Must agree in principle to a tensioner with a "Spring". This would be particularly important if the owner is not exactly "Hands-on" and less prone to "checking" this detail on a "routine" basis. I happen to be of the nature and discipline(?) to check my tensioner several times a year. Only takes a few minutes and gives piece of mind.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Cam chain tensioner idler 2 years 10 months ago #29264

• Motocross902
  • Thank you received: 0
The post regarding an replacement/alternate spring for the tensioner referenced Ebay item # 331459306709.  I searched Ebay using this number and no results.  Any suggestions where else it might be sourced?
Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds