Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28490

• fineline
  • fineline's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Fellow Z1300 lovers. I'm doing a top end rebuild on my smokey 1979 Z1300. Not to mention, replace the frame... but that's another story. Does my cam chain tensioner idler wheel look ok or would you replace it anyway. It kind of looks ok ish to me. But a more experienced opinion would be great thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28494

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Attempt number 3 on the pics.
Attachments:

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28496

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Your Nylon sprocket is in excellent condition ! Because you have it out, you have two choices. Reinstall it and with some simple care, it'll outlast you. ( Let the next owner worry about it.)
Or: Replace it with the Liska Racing sprocket and never have to worry about it, regardless of who ends up with the bike. Certainly some value in that premise.

If you choose to reinstall the nylon sprocket (seriously) do some research and understand the ramifications of doing so in conjunction with your choice of options for the tensioner, itself.
Someone did a load test on the OEM tensioner spring and stated that the pressure is about 1000grams. The spring tension of a popular option was measured at 2000 grams. ( if I remember this correctly) If you're intuitive, you can see where this comment is going.

Modifying the OEM is easy and safe. My alternative choice would be an aftermarket manual tensioner with NO spring.

I'm waiting on a " Liska Racing" steel sprocket. It'll go in the cupboard along with a complete gasket set and rings; ready for the day I decide to do the top-end.
My original sprocket has some teeth left, even with just under 100,000 K. I attribute it's longevity to common sense in maintaining the OEM tensioner which was converted, way back when(?) AND uses the original spring. The spring could be removed without any concerns. The term "Tensioner" is dubious. All that is needed is an adjustable device that removes the slack, which avoids the chain skipping.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28497

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
Someone did a load test on the OEM tensioner spring and stated that the pressure is about 1000grams. The spring tension of a popular option was measured at 2000 grams. ( if I remember this correctly) If you're intuitive, you can see where this comment is going.

I fitted an alternative spring to my GPZ1100 tensioner , as follows....

Ebay Item number 331459306709 size 85mm long, dia 5.63mm, wire dia 0.63mm material Stainless Steel, R 2.77
It has resulted in a loading as you mention of around 990 grams.
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Last edit: by Stiggy.

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28499

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

Stiggy wrote: Someone did a load test on the OEM tensioner spring and stated that the pressure is about 1000grams. The spring tension of a popular option was measured at 2000 grams. ( if I remember this correctly) If you're intuitive, you can see where this comment is going.

I fitted an alternative spring to my GPZ1100 tensioner , as follows....

Ebay Item number 331459306709 size 85mm long, dia 5.63mm, wire dia 0.63mm material Stainless Steel, R 2.77
It has resulted in a loading as you mention of around 990 grams.

STIGGY,
That is very valuable and useful information on the spring you have found available.
Well done and thank you.

Having owned over ten Z1300's over the last 40 years and serviced many more for other owners, I have fitted the GPZ/ZZR1100 Tensioner to all of them and not one has had any issues or wear problems. All have had 10cm cut off the standard spring, but your find does give the tensioner the "stock" level of strength so should silence the "scheptics" .................but then again probably wont as ever !!

The main danger of using a tensioner with no spring, is that if the Nylon Idler Gear or Rubber Gear FAIL (which they often do) then there will be enough "slack" on the cam chain for it to jump a link on the cams and......................well the rest you can guess !

Spring loaded tensioners are definitely the safest and best.

Regards

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Cam chain tensioner idler 3 years 3 months ago #28500

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Scotch, that's the news I was hoping for. I think I will refit it then. I have the OEM tensioner which was modified so it can be locked in position. I bought and fitted a manual tensioner at one stage, but just didn't trust myself to get the right tension so swapped back to the modified OEM one. I trust Kawasaki's spring rate more than my best guess.
It looks like they have new nylon sprockets for sale at MCG in Germany for 79 euros (if I'm looking at the right part). If I got the thumbs down on mine I might have gone that route.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds