• Page:

TOPIC:

Valve cover torque specs. 3 years 4 months ago #28299

• Badger
  • Badger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm reading the service Manuel and having a hard time coming to terms with torqueing valve cover bolts to 11ft-lbs/ 132 in-lbs.
I never thought those little bolts could take that and I don't want to strip out a bolt on the valve cover. Any input would be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve cover torque specs. 3 years 4 months ago #28301

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I never thought those little bolts could take that and I don't want to strip out a bolt on the valve cover.

I agree. I torque these (This size) to 80 inch pounds, initially. If there's any 'weeping" an additional 5 inch pounds. If weeping continues, I replace the gasket.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Valve cover torque specs. 3 years 3 weeks ago #28994

• mlyle11
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
A long time ago... in a garage far far, away... back before I owned a an inch point wrench and believed tighter is always better... I over tightened the outside valve cover bolt and an outer section of the head cracked off. Ugly little scar from that point on, but lesson learned!
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300

Valve cover torque specs. 3 years 3 weeks ago #28996

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
The Machinery's Handbook  may be a little much for the average Joe to have in his library, but it's in mine. Full of all kinds of information regarding machining practices, fits and tolerances. So in lieu of this , here's a snap shot from www.classicmotors.com of a torque chart for different metric fasteners.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy

Valve cover torque specs. 2 years 11 months ago #29205

• coleface
  • Thank you received: 2
I havn't read the M.M. for the specific torque procedure for many of the parts on the 1300 but have a background in Aircraft maintenance and unless it says lube torque all bolts should be clean and dry. No lube. 
I say this because a recent poster on a FB 1300 forum stated lube the bolts then start at 12 o'clock and go clockwise or counter clockwise to tighten.  Not good advise.

Valve cover torque specs. 2 years 11 months ago #29206

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I may be speaking heresy, but I honestly think I only busted out the torque wrench for the head bolts and whatever is bolted to the crankshaft either side (starter mechanism or stator, depending).  The valve cover I did hit with a general criss-cross pattern, but any actual torque values were just me choking up on the ratchet handle and eeking up on what felt tight.  The only leaking issues I ever had were occasionally from the cam plugs, and a new set fixed that no problem.

As always, your mileage may vary.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds