• Page:

TOPIC:

Radiator Caps 4 years 1 week ago #26194

• Badger
  • Badger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 0
What makes the 1300 radiator cap so different from standard caps. I just replaced mine with a 13psi cap and I can't get the temp to drop from high temps. Is the original cap different from standard car radiator caps? Please Help.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Radiator Caps 4 years 1 week ago #26199

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
I can’t answer as to whether the cap is different to car caps. There was a post on here a while ago about renewing the rubber seals on the original cap.
Surely the pressure rating of the cap only determines the boiling point of the coolant, and not the operating temperature of the engine, in which case the cause of your overheating may lie elsewhere.

Radiator Caps 4 years 1 week ago #26200

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

biltonjim wrote: I can’t answer as to whether the cap is different to car caps. There was a post on here a while ago about renewing the rubber seals on the original cap.
Surely the pressure rating of the cap only determines the boiling point of the coolant, and not the operating temperature of the engine, in which case the cause of your overheating may lie elsewhere.

True. rad caps only affect the boiling point of the coolant. The operating temp is determined by the thermostat. You may have introduced some air in the system when changing the cap out which may have caused a circulation problem.
One thing to watch for when selecting a different product to replace the original is Fit Form and Function. In this case Fit my be a problem. If the relaxed height of the new cap is taller than the original and then to install the spring of the cap is compressed more than the original cap would be, the breakout pressure of the rad cap may be higher, meaning the psi rating of the cap my be higher than the stock cap. Same thing in the opposite direction ( if the relaxed height is lower)

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Radiator Caps 4 years 1 week ago #26201

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I replaced mine about two years ago when I noticed the original had developed a small split on the large sealing rubber. Still worked, but...?
Bought this one at my local auto-parts store. It tested correctly, starting to open at 12PSI.
I believe it was stang who rebuilt his.
www.amazon.ca/Stant-10229-Radiator-Cap-PSI/dp/B000B8N3G4
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko, Greg Davis

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds