Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A unique Cam-cover 6 years 4 months ago #18184

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I was right! 400 in action already and done! Was that a sequel to the 300 flick? :unsure: Just don't draw too much blood with your knuckles! LOL
Looking good already Scotch! So.... this one is not going to be wrinkle black? Just a wild guess.

That polishing tumbler video sure fits the author's description - probably worst video he's ever made. Not that I've seen any other. He just keeps on talking about a TV show and some other irrelevant s-h-t. I fast forwarded it at least five times, hahaha Looks good when working in the last 5 seconds of the video, but too bad obstructed by the adverts.

I've seen a polishing/rust removal tumbler made from a cooking pot and a vibrating hand sander. Seemed to work quite well. But these noisy tools are not good for urban environment. Yet I am playing with the idea of having a small bead blasting cabinet. That would we such a life saver! The issue is with a compressor. It would have to be of course a portable electric one, and designed to be quiet. Then the pressure issue. The higher the better, but often these small ones often offer lower range. But perhaps 120 Psi is enough for small jobs?

Except for my first recent experience with sand blasting a few parts, especially those rusted steel ones, I've done all my polishing literally by hand. From crude to fine, then rags, WD40 and jars of Mother's Polish. Oh my poor fingers! :(
So here you have it about the race, right there - Scotch is cheating! :evil: hahaha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A unique Cam-cover 6 years 4 months ago #18185

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
LOL.....Ya guys - I'll get right on that- right after I make my lathe and milling machine. Re: the Video - I've got a good start - My shop kinds looks like "his"! In the mean time Stan and I can at least be on a relatively level playing field by doing it the good ole' fashioned Polish way ! :) It's all about the true spirit and tradition - reducing your hands and wrists to Mush and enjoying it ! :blink:
Like Forest Gumps mother used to say <..., you know Forest; the more you rub it......>! :woohoo: maybe that was my mom ! :whistle:
Well - out to the "Pit" for another go at it !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

A unique Cam-cover 6 years 4 months ago #18186

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

I'll get right on that- right after I make my lathe and milling machine.

damn, I forgot to mention the obvious!

A unique Cam-cover 6 years 4 months ago #18187

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I have the air valve housings on my '84 ZG (albeit blanked off) so maybe they had a run of cam covers that they needed to use up?
Only dead fish go with the flow

A unique Cam-cover 6 years 4 months ago #18199

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I now have the entire top of the cover sanded with 400. The concern about porous areas hasn't reared it's ugly face - those areas have sanded out - so the end goal to polish it is still a GO. The top-side has been easy so far, being flat. I found a small block of rubber (an axle-snubber) that worked well to flat-sand. Found it worked only with water. The sand paper backing stuck to the rubber-block, unlike with WD40. I also found that water kept the working side of the paper, cleaner (self-cleaning), allowing more use from it. On these larger surfaces the WD would clog up quickly. I'm using a spray-bottle of water with a couple of drops of detergent to rinse the cover and paper. I've found this far more affective and efficient to keep the slurry in-check and to inspect the progress. A large towel on the bench soaks up the surplus water. Now psyching myself up for the task of dealing with the perimeter and all those curves and bolt-bosses.
Even with only 400 - there's a good reflection already apparent.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

A unique Cam-cover 6 years 4 months ago #18200

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
That is starting to look good! Have you considered using Scotchbrite / Fibral type hand pads, or Scotchbrite rotary buffs for the sides?

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds