Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17562

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Scotch I remember when I changed my original oil pan, 79 model for the bigger one. This are the pieces I found lying in the oil screen, one of them was non ferrous aluminum like flattened piece similar to what You got out, and also kind of white-cream plastic parts. I guess it was the first time oil pan was taken down. Bike has 27K miles. In my case, maybe the small aluminum ball which I found stuck inside the engine to the cylinder bank maybe got through to the oil pump somehow being flattened in the process than pumped trough the engine and landed in the screen at some point. What do You thing?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17573

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Sorry Daro- I wouldn't hazard a guess. One of the many mysteries of life, with these things.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17579

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
One needs to understand the oil circuit. The inlet strainer protects the oil pump from debris which would damage the pump. Once the oil is through the pump, the oil is delivered to the oil filter for purification and then the oil is circulated through the engine. That fragment has come off of something and found its way to the oil pan. It's too big to have passed through the oil filter UNLESS the internal bypass in the oil filter allowed it through and all of the feed circuits would not have allowed a piece that big through.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17589

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Kawboy You right. Me, blinded by the way the small flattened piece looked like, first and only I thought that the similar small aluminium ball I found inside the engine stuck to the cylinder head, must have somehow found its way in to the oil pump where it was flattened, with out really thinking about how. Tho I did looked at the oil circuit in the manual sometimes back from which was obvious where the oil is going to and in which order. Well.. I'm surprising my self sometimes, sorry about that and thanks for clarifying, I owe You one.

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17590

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Not a problem Daro. Gives you a chance to refocus and decide if you want to chase down the likely culprit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daro

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds