TOPIC:

locating an oil leak left side 6 years 10 months ago #16679

• BigSix
  • BigSix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi guys

I am facing an oil leak left side in the lower region of the engine. Oold-spread starts at the spring of the side-stand basically to the side stand and is minimal, yet noticeable and gave me hell of a trouble passing the required technical approval from the authorities in Switzerland.

Thanks for any idea where is might come from, I will conduct further test-rides to determine the location.

best regards,

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

locating an oil leak left side 6 years 10 months ago #16696

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Somewhere along the oil pan gasket springs to mind. Check the oil filter gasket as well.

locating an oil leak left side 6 years 10 months ago #16700

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I'm just going to throw this out there since it reminds me of a similar occurrence that happened to me back in my younger days.

I had cause to remove the right side cover to check a clutch basket on a Kawasaki 350 triple. Being a young inexperienced lad, I removed all of the screws and threw them in a pile with a bunch of "other" screws I had. When I was done inspecting the clutch, I started putting the cover back on using "cherry picking" the best screws I had with decent Phillips heads and installed the cover. Then I had a leak. Check the screws and all were tight, but still have a big leak. Take the cover off to check the gasket surface but noticed 2 of the screws were stiff coming out. The problem, I had picked screws that were 5mm too long for the holes I had put them in and they bottomed out in the holes. The screws "felt" tight but only because they had bottomed out in the holes and appeared to be tight against the cover. I was lucky enough that I didn't crack the crankcase at the threaded holes.
Now that I'm much older and wise, when I go to put something back together now, i never trust the previous owners skills and always check the parts manual to confirm the lengths of the screws or measure the depth of the blind threaded holes and calculate the required lengths of the screws required. At some point down the road parts will start to become unattainable. Cracked covers and cases will be expensive.

locating an oil leak left side 6 years 10 months ago #16702

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Could also be a weep at the Neutral-switch or a seal leak from the Shifter shaft.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

locating an oil leak left side 6 years 10 months ago #16707

• BigSix
  • BigSix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
@ Kawboy: Now I definitely can exclude that, though the topic is worth mentioning.

@ Scotch: looks like the only potential source as the gasket is tight. Today I went to work so see if I finally will find some oil.

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by BigSix.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds