• Page:

TOPIC:

ZG1300 A1 Valve Clearance checking 7 years 4 months ago #14929

• Gavin
  • Gavin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 15
I have the engine on the bench at the moment, Is the process different to a non Dfi model as i cannot get the mark on the cam sprocket to line up with the with the top of the head and the "T" mark on the rotor with the crank case at the same time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Gavin.

ZG1300 A1 Valve Clearance checking 7 years 4 months ago #14930

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Gavin wrote: I have the engine on the bench at the moment, Is the process different to a non Dfi model as i cannot get the mark on the cam sprocket to line up with the with the top of the head and the "T" mark on the rotor with the crank case at the same time.

It would be really nice to have a little history here to understand what you're trying to do and how you are going about it.

In order to retime the cams to the crankshaft, you have to back off the chain tensioner and then rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to get the slack in the chain towards the front of the engine, then you can walk the chain around the camshafts in which ever direction you need to go, then rotate the crankshaft clockwise to the top dead center mark and check you cam position. If you're happy tighten down the cam chain tensioner and then rotate the crankshaft 2 turns clockwise and recheck your markings.

ZG1300 A1 Valve Clearance checking 7 years 4 months ago #14932

• Gavin
  • Gavin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Thanks for the reply,
The engine is only out so i can powdercoat the frame , singing arm etc, so i decided to check the valve clearances, the instruction in the base manual relates to carb models. The rotor on my 84 injection is different

ZG1300 A1 Valve Clearance checking 7 years 4 months ago #14933

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I think I know what's going on here. The timing marks on the camshaft related to the crankshaft are only aligned once in every 2 crankshaft revolutions and you're probably looking at the timing marks on the wrong crankshaft revolution. Try turning the crankshaft one full turn clockwise and line up the crankshaft timing mark see if your timing marks on the camshaft are now aligned.

ZG1300 A1 Valve Clearance checking 7 years 4 months ago #14934

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Gav, good to see you are moving forward with the old girl (mine's still not sorted :whistle:)
Look forward to seeing her in Spring, all shiny and blue.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

ZG1300 A1 Valve Clearance checking 7 years 4 months ago #14943

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Gavin wrote: I have the engine on the bench at the moment, Is the process different to a non Dfi model as i cannot get the mark on the cam sprocket to line up with the with the top of the head and the "T" mark on the rotor with the crank case at the same time.

Hey Gavin, I am going through the same process right now and I am having the same problem as you plus when I thought it was sorted the camchain slipped of the bottom sprocket. So I have to start all over again. The theory I have at the moment is you just line up the exhaust cam first, apply the chain on that sprocket noting #1 link position ( middle of link or between links) and count 17 links back and fit your inlet cam into the chain at the timing mark. Then move your inlet cam back towards the carbies (it is this moving backwards that has me stumped at the moment, doing it without stuffing all the timing up is the key and the mystery for me presently)

Let us know how you get on, between the pair of us we should be able to nut it out. Paul
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds