Stator oil leak FIXED! 7 years 6 months ago #14359

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/482 Forums: KZ1300
2016-09-03 Alt Cover Leak Fixed

The alternator stator cover, right hand side, has been leaking, even after a previous repair attempt using blue silicone. The leak rate is about a drip every 4 minutes. A big fat drip, at that.

Pretty easy to see why she's leaking. The rubber grommet is torn, nearly in half. Earlier in the week I had called Ricky's Stator to see if I can purchase a grommet. Their website shows a re-wound stator *with* grommet. The lady was way nice but failed on her promise to call me back with info.

Same pic, just farther out.

A shot of the flywheel.

..and, I'm leak free! So then, you ask, how the hell did I fix that without a new grommet? Good question. But it's my secret. If I tell you then you'ld know too.

Oh, OK. Here it is. This shit is magic. It comes out gooey, like a cross between the waterproof electrical tape (self vulcanizing) and tar. And sticky. I applied it to the grommet backside, on the case in the 'hollow' then filled the remaining void. Carefully reinstalled the cover and let it sit. Yep, the instructions say 1 minute.. I gave it more like 15 before starting the bike to drain the float bowls to call it a night. I still have not taken it off the side stand, but it looks really promising.

I'll update status later today.

The end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dcarver220b.

Stator oil leak FIXED! 7 years 6 months ago #14361

• roadhazard
  • Thank you received: 6
Yep, I used that stuff around the area where a stud broke off when i changed the waterpump on my ford van. That was last year and still no leaks.
1980 Kz 1300 b2 touring
1980 kz 1300 A2

Stator oil leak FIXED! 7 years 6 months ago #14370

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

BEWARE !!!!
:ohmy:

There is an issue with a lot of Generator Casings / Covers on the early 1300.

Many owners find the VERY BOTTOM TWO screw holes on the cover often crack off or leak.
This is due to the fact that many casings were not 100% flat on the gasket surface and were slightly RAISED around the BOTTOM TWO HOLES.
This means if slightly over tightened, the casing can crack, or will when the engine reaches full temperature.

If you put the gasket face on a 100% flat surface and look carefully at it, you may well see the lower two holes are slightly raised from the rest of the holes (a gap).

I have found this issue on many A1/A2 & A3 models over the years, but not later models.

The way to prevent problems is all down to how you fit the cover itself onto the engine.

1). Ensure you always use a NEW gasket (not a used one that is compressed).
2). Put a smear of good quality gasket sealant (such as Blue Hylomar) on either side of the NEW gasket around the bottom TWO mounting holes.
3). Put the cover in position with all the screws ONLY FINGER TIGHT in the holes then begin carefully tightening from the VERY TOP SCREWS working down either side to the BOTTOM TWO SCREWS last of all, but do not tighten these anymore than you have to.

The reason for this procedure is that if you tighten the BOTTOM TWO SCREWS first then work upwards, you actually risk cracking the lugs off the cover at the bottom as it actually breaks its back once you get to tightening the upper screws.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by strate6.

Stator oil leak FIXED! 7 years 6 months ago #14373

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I broke off one of the lugs on my A5 while tightening these bolts up ages ago. Wish I had known the secret tightening sequence then.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Stator oil leak FIXED! 7 years 6 months ago #14374

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Sorry to hear that mate...........

I have owned & worked mainly on the earlier A1/A2 & A3 models and found this issue with the cover / casing.

Not worked on many A4/A5 models which have totally different generators and casings so was not aware the problem is obviously across all models.

Good information for us all to know regardless !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Stator oil leak FIXED! 7 years 6 months ago #14385

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Thanks for the tip Pete. Mine isn't a problem now but at some point in its life that cover will end up coming off.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds