• Page:

TOPIC:

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 4 months ago #10137

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

KZQ wrote: Thanks Tim,
My starter clutch on the 1300 is failing differently that other Kawasaki starter clutches I have repaired, three so far. The starter will engage but if even one cylinder sputters the clutch looses it's hold and the starter just freewheels until it spins down, ending with a couple of noisy clacks. The only hope I have of getting the motor to start is a clean start right from the first revolution.
Bill

Bill, I believe I am having the same problem (in a fashion). I have just taken delivery of a new 'starter motor clutch repair kit' and was searching to see how to disassemble it all. Did you find what was causing the problem?
Paul
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 4 months ago #10139

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

Yaegunp wrote:

KZQ wrote: Thanks Tim,
My starter clutch on the 1300 is failing differently that other Kawasaki starter clutches I have repaired, three so far. The starter will engage but if even one cylinder sputters the clutch looses it's hold and the starter just freewheels until it spins down, ending with a couple of noisy clacks. The only hope I have of getting the motor to start is a clean start right from the first revolution.
Bill

Bill, I believe I am having the same problem (in a fashion). I have just taken delivery of a new 'starter motor clutch repair kit' and was searching to see how to disassemble it all. Did you find what was causing the problem?
Paul

Yes Paul I did find the problem, although I'm not sure I understand all of it.

KZQ wrote: I've been an AmsOil user for more that 35 years and I've never had any problem until today.

I've had AmsOil in this bike for a decade with no problems. Just recently my starter clutch started slipping. Now, I've replaced starter clutches several times but the way this one was failing was new, at least to me. I'd pull in the clutch, hit the starter and the engine would turn over right up to the point that the first cylinder would pop at which point the starter would start slipping. At this point, all I can do is wait for it to spin down and come to a stop with several clanks. If the bike starts with the first pop, no problem but if it has to crank for any time it will likely slip on the first pop.
A mechanic friend of mine asked if I was using synthetic oil, said it was too slippery.
I just now changed the oil to Honda 10W40 Motorcycle oil, took it for a ride and the problem seems to have vanished. Could be that my starter clutch is just about to go and the slickness of the oil is right where it needs to be to show the problem.

I guess I'll stick with the dino oil, at least till I tear it down for some other reason to look at the rollers, springs and boss.

Bill

I still believe in synthetic oils and will continue to run it in my other bikes but here's one case where it seems to be too slick. In case you were wondering the other clutch works fine with no slippage.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds