Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 10 years 1 week ago #3120

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Ok lets get down to this replacing coils job. I took the 2&5 coil off the bike to get a good look at this and size things up. 1 these ACCEL coils are a lot bigger than the stock one and the to mount them like the old coils the spare towels are pointing the wrong way. So here is my request, The one's of you that have mounted these coils on your bikes send me so picture of how yours are done. In other words give me some ideas. ( I am not interesting in keeping the bike looking totally stock.) so with that said I will make shit fit but do a nice job. If need be I will mount these coils some place else away from the heat. Ideas guys?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 10 years 1 week ago #3128

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
My thoughts about placing the coils away from the heat is that the standard coils were totally inadequate for the job including the heat they get. The Kawasakis are the only Japanese bikes that I come across that have this problem on a regular basis from early in life. It is not just the 13s the early Z9s and Z1000s were as bad.
The rest seem to handle the heat OK and the auto coils also need to handle the heat better as under the bonnet of a car gets far hotter than any bike would so I don't see any need to mount them some cooler place, it's more getting rid of coils that are not up to the job.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 10 years 1 week ago #3131

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Ok Rick your the one I was hoping would answer. The center post that run thru the coil that the bolt go thru turns the towers strieght up or down so it looks like I am going to have to make me a bracket to mount to the plate so I can turn the towers sideway. I agree with you an Accel coil should be able to take the heat. So give this a shot and take picture's a long the way. Frankly I was not sure where to move them out side the where the factory put them to start with.

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 10 years 1 week ago #3134

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I don't see why they can't be turned sideways.
I figure that you fit them any way that suits as there is very limited room under there to fit anything.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 10 years 6 days ago #3148

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I mounted my Dyna coils to the valve covers, my thinking was that they'd get a cooling breeze there as the air comes through that gap between the engine & underside of the fuel tank from the front & also when the radiator fan operates at a standstill. Had them in that location for quite a few years now, no problems. Ignore the red arrow as that was for another post elsewhere.

Only dead fish go with the flow

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 9 years 10 months ago #3696

• beertad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
hey all
question for Pete or anyone hving done the upgrade.
when you say make a 3 way loom from the pink wire source, do you mean from the source feed all 3 coil negatives with 3 wires from the 1 ?

just wanna get it right.!!!!
Tad

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds