Electrical

TOPIC:

battery not charging 1 year 9 months ago #30364

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
So I connected the three yellow wire pin to the regulator and ran the engine at 4000 rpm. Then I measured the voltage at output pin on the regulator where the red/white wire would be connected (which incidentally on my bike goes straight to the battery, no fuse block or junction, and has good continuity from regulator end to battery end), and there was nothing in terms of voltage coming out. I did not connect the ground pin to the chassis at the same time... but not sure if that mattered.

I have not measured the yellow to yellow x3 yet, but the above makes me suspect the regulator. Once I have established the yellow-yellow wire voltage as being OK, I will contact Roadster about the regulator. 

But if the regulator is at fault, it would be nice to know what caused it and how to prevent it.... this one has only just over 1000 miles on it.  

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

battery not charging 1 year 9 months ago #30365

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

So I connected the three yellow wire pin to the regulator and ran the engine at 4000 rpm. Then I measured the voltage at output pin on the regulator where the red/white wire would be connected (which incidentally on my bike goes straight to the battery, no fuse block or junction, and has good continuity from regulator end to battery end), and there was nothing in terms of voltage coming out. I did not connect the ground pin to the chassis at the same time... but not sure if that mattered.

I have not measured the yellow to yellow x3 yet, but the above makes me suspect the regulator. Once I have established the yellow-yellow wire voltage as being OK, I will contact Roadster about the regulator. 

But if the regulator is at fault, it would be nice to know what caused it and how to prevent it.... this one has only just over 1000 miles on it.  

Paul

IT MATTERS. 2 reasons. The regulator needs to have a reference voltage so that it can determine whether to shunt the power to the battery or shunt the power to ground. The regulator looks for the difference between ground and output.
 Second, if it's trying to shunt the power to ground and you didn't provide the ground, it's an open circuit again, with no place for the power to go so there's no flow of electricity.

The only thing you need to do is hook everything up and check the voltage at the battery.  

battery not charging 1 year 9 months ago #30367

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is where I started.... all was connected and voltage at the battery was 12.9V. NO difference if engine off or running at 4000 rpm. So not charging.

I will connect that to ground and test again.

Paul

battery not charging 1 year 9 months ago #30368

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yellow to yellow x3 is all 50V when at 4000 rpm.

Nothing coming out of the regulator, even when connected up to battery and ground.

I guess regulator kaput.

How?? And how to prevent from happening again?

I'll be emailing Roadster for a new one and asking why after only 1000 miles it went pop.

Paul

battery not charging 1 year 9 months ago #30413

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Had a long email conversation with Jack from Roadster, such a nice guy! Followed all his advice on checking voltages to/from the regulator and that seems fine, all voltages check out perfectly. I even tried putting the Regulator output onto a different battery and that did charge, voltage going up and down with revs. 

So:
- battery is OK
- regulator is OK
- stator is OK
- wiring seems OK

The stator and regulator charge a battery that is outside the vehicle and battery on the bike holds charge fine for 20 miles or so.... That the leaves as faulty the wiring or the M-Unit Blue. 

I have written to Motogadget to ask whether the M-Unit can stop the battery from charging.... see what they say. But for the moment I am still no nearer a solution. Bike won't charge.

Hmpf!

Paul

battery not charging 1 year 9 months ago #30415

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
By chance are you running a Li battery?

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds