• Page:

TOPIC:

Rectifier/Regulator - Rewire directly to battery? 2 years 2 months ago #30079

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
My 79 KZ1300 A1 has two independent charging systems. 

Unfortunately, they are charging at full tilt, full RR output of 14.8 to 15.0 volts.

Found this really informative post from a fellow member.. 

Who basically said voltage drops on the 'brown' wire reduce volts introduced to the RR, thus 'tricking' the RR into thinking it needs full output, or at least more output than really needed, to charge the battery.

He mentions wiring straight from battery to RR via a switched relay.

My question is - why is the relay needed?

If wired direct to RR, bypassing all the other circuits on the 'brown' wire, I'm thinking it should be ok.. The voltage would be on the RR battery sense transistor, but the transistor should be off as it has power to switch?

Just wondering out loud..

Thanks in Advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rectifier/Regulator - Rewire directly to battery? 2 years 2 months ago #30080

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

If wired direct to RR, bypassing all the other circuits on the 'brown' wire, I'm thinking it should be ok.. The voltage would be on the RR battery sense transistor, but the transistor should be off as it has power to switch?

If connected directly to the battery, there could still be current draining through that brown wire even with ignition off.  You could measure it with a ammeter to see how much the drain actually is.  In any case, you'd want it fused (or rather I would  )

Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Rectifier/Regulator - Rewire directly to battery? 2 years 2 months ago #30082

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

If connected directly to the battery, there could still be current draining through that brown wire even with ignition off.  You could measure it with a ammeter to see how much the drain actually is.  In any case, you'd want it fused (or rather I would 

Thank you for reply Bucko, I appreciate all input I can get. 

I tested potential parasitic current drain using a DCV clamp-on ammeter and found no drain when directly connected, battery to RR's. But then again, the clamp-on isn't the most sensitive or have resolution as compared to putting a dmm in series.. 

I installed a relay. Power now is introduced to the RR's at key switch on. Not sure it's needed but thought it a good idea.

Did not fuse.. OEM wiring doesn't use a fuse, so not sure if it's really needed or not.. But to be super-safe it sure could not hurt. 

Test ride tomorrow!

Thanks again for replying..

Don

Rectifier/Regulator - Rewire directly to battery? 2 years 2 months ago #30083

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Last edit: by dcarver220b.

Rectifier/Regulator - Rewire directly to battery? 2 years 2 months ago #30084

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Probably worth me providing a few clarifications - I've learned a lot since I encountered my electrical gremlins with the charging system.  First of all, the so called "brown sensing wire" seems to have little if any function worth noting for the original regulator.  The main issue with our early Z1300's is the lack of cooling for the stator and that we have a "shunt" type regulator which demands as much current as it can from the stator/generator at all times - it does this by shorting to ground when the regualted voltage has been reached - generally between 14 and 15 volts.  I solved all of my issues by fitting a "series" type regulator that switches off the generator supply rather than grounding it to earth when the limiting voltage is reached - producing far less heat in both the stator and regulator.
With all of my stator issues, I fitted a voltage meter to monitor what was going on and to know if I had any issues.  I wanted to monitor the battery direct rather than through any other circuits switched via the ignition as these will have a small voltage drop due to the loads demanded by the various lights/coils etc. However, a direct connection would mean that the voltage meter would be permanently connected to the battery even with the ignition swithed off.  This is why I fitted a relay - it is switched via the ignition circuit but then provides a direct circuit to the battery for the voltage monitor.  The relay has no connection to the charging circuit.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcarver220b

Rectifier/Regulator - Rewire directly to battery? 2 years 2 months ago #30086

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
If you fit a more modern RR you don't need that brown wire, it's there only to 'wake up' the original one & tell it to start working as it's much older technology. Mosfet is the way to go.
Only dead fish go with the flow

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds