Electrical

TOPIC:

Sub Alternator Connector Location. 3 years 6 months ago #27900

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
After a recent weekend trip where my headlight was apparently pretty dim, I did some trouble shooting, and among other things, found the main stater output connector (to the main R/R) was melted pretty badly. I cleaned that up and installed new connector shells and pins and now the alternator seems to be working fine (although the R/R output seem a bit low with a maximum voltage output of about 13.5 volts (which is plenty to go on but below the spec of ~15v). In any case, I've checked the 'sub' R/R and it's pins and connectors seem to be fine (at the connector right at the R/R) but I can't find the 4 pin (presumably) connector from the sub stator (presumably with three yellow wires). Any of you guys with the sub alternator know where that second connector is located? I need to inspect and if necessary, replace connector shells and pins.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Sub Alternator Connector Location. 3 years 6 months ago #27903

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Do you have a sub alternator? Wires coming from left hand cover?

Could it be reserve lighting device - I'm not sure what it does but I think it dims the main beam if the low beam has failed (not fitted in UK/Europe).
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Sub Alternator Connector Location. 3 years 6 months ago #27904

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
If one of the headlight bulbs burns out then the headlight warning light on the dash should come on it is the idiot light that is white. At least on my 79's that's the case.

Sub Alternator Connector Location. 3 years 6 months ago #27911

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

zed_thirteen wrote: Do you have a sub alternator? Wires coming from left hand cover?

Could it be reserve lighting device - I'm not sure what it does but I think it dims the main beam if the low beam has failed (not fitted in UK/Europe).

Yes, I have a sub alternator - should have mentioned that bike is a ZN1300. Headlight was working but at a very low level. Initially I was measuring only 8 volts at the headlight (Low beam) and 12.9 at the battery) Cleaning some grounds up got me another volt at the the headlight then I checked the Main Alternator output connector which was fried pretty badly (see pix below). I replaced the connector shells and and now I'm getting 12v at the headlight and 13.5v at the battery. Since the main alternator connector was so fried, I thought I'd better take a look at the sub alternator connector but can't find it with all the other crap in the way.

stocktoy wrote: If one of the headlight bulbs burns out then the headlight warning light on the dash should come on it is the idiot light that is white. At least on my 79's that's the case.

Yes, the ZN has the same system. If the low beam burns out, the dash indicator goes on and the High beam is automatically turned on but at 60% (I think) power. That's wasn't my problem though - low beam was working but at at a very low level. In any case, the voltage is back up now. Still I need to check the sub alternator connector if I can find it.

Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Sub Alternator Connector Location. 3 years 6 months ago #27912

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words. This pic of an aux (left side stator) came from an ad on EBay and judging by the length of the lead coming from the stator, I'd say the stator plugs directly in to the aux regulator/rectifier.
Hope this helps.
KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Sub Alternator Connector Location. 3 years 6 months ago #27913

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

Kawboy wrote: Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words. This pic of an aux (left side stator) came from an ad on EBay and judging by the length of the lead coming from the stator, I'd say the stator plugs directly in to the aux regulator/rectifier.
Hope this helps.
KB

I can confirm that, when rebuilding mine the yellow three wires went straight into the regulator. This was the instruction on my new Shindengen.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds