Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 2 months ago #28726

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Did you mean 24,000 miles FJR, or is it truly 240,000? If 240,000, that’s amazing! How much of the engine is original?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 1 month ago #28760

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181

biltonjim wrote: Did you mean 24,000 miles FJR, or is it truly 240,000? If 240,000, that’s amazing! How much of the engine is original?

240k. Unfortunately, I killed a deer and an incorrect lower cowling was ordered. Choice to wait 5 weeks for correct or dump the California USA fuel evaporations canister. Of course, I said dump it. But, BUT, the tech never plugged the hoses and raw, unfiltered air (3 mile long dirt road) was ingested and sanded a cylinder.

So, second engine. Cost to repair OEM ~ 3.5k. New engine, one year newer, 2007, complete, 1.2k USD delivered.

candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/16Clicky

If you're interested in a new bike, with KZ attitude, the FJR's 2013 and up, are a wonderful, simple, reliable, powerful, long distance mile eating machine.
AND, for some reason, they don't hold value. I don't get it.. 10 minute oil changes.. sport bike brakes, suspension, power. Truly a wonderful platform. I have two, a 2006 and the 'young gun', a 2013 with *only* 30k I bought used for 5.5k USD.

Apologies for off topic, but the FJR's are most like the KZ 1300 I've ever ridden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Last edit: by dcarver220b.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 1 month ago #28765

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Always good when someone can walk away from something like this and live to tell the tale. I'm guessing you were moving and it was "bewitching hour" as we say in Ontario-1/2 hour before sunset. That's when we see the deer coming out to forage for food.
Had a friend who T boned a school bus that happened to run a stop sign. Cost him a big portion of one of his legs. Of the 2 guys I have ridden with, this guy always got the "deer in the headlights" look on his face when something happened in front of him and he would always suffer from "Target fixation" and run in to the problem. We never could teach him to focus on where he wanted to go rather than where he would end up if he didn't alter course. This target fixation issue was something taught at road racing school prior to racing on the track. Saved my ass several times.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 2 years 8 months ago #29443

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
More testing, troubleshooting the overheating issue. Ambient temps have been over 100F, after 2 minutes of riding engine is in the fan. The lift opened up, so put the KZ up for work.
  1. Flush engine block with ambient water to remove leftover Radiator Stop Leak and check for even water flow (blockage?) between left and right banks
  2. Make IR temperature measurements of head and block using FLIR to check for even temps across head and block
  3. Test NOS T-Stat vs. installed T-Stat

Here's the video with results
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko

Last edit: by dcarver220b.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 2 years 8 months ago #29465

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Shot interesting IR video of radiator and resultant heat distribution patterns as engine warmed up, Tstat opened, cooling fan kicked in, then engine cool down. 

Whatcha think? All as should be? See anything weird?

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 2 years 8 months ago #29467

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Looks good to me Don. I'd be happy. Rad shows complete saturation ie. no blockages. I suspect the blue vertical line is a fan screen support that cooled off quick when the fan came on. Bear in mind that your running the DG pipe which is a single wall exhaust system and it will radiate heat more so than the double walled stock downpipes. I think Scotch did header wrap on his downpipes to help with this issue.
Cheers,
J

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds