Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28705

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
You've probably checked this already but the alternator connectors are notorious for getting a bit on corrosion on the terminals then overheating causing them to be intermittent and reducing alternator output.
Also not weird for the alternator windings be become a bit funking and when they heat up and expand they short out or open circuit.

I'll testify to that !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28710

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Both my stators are soldered connections for AC volts. Ricks Electrics has stators (with grommet!) and RR's. Kind of pricey but I'm in way to deep already.... so what the hell. Worked all my life and my luxuries are few and far between. No fancy house, car, airplane.. .just old motobikes with pricey parts.. LOL

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28714

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Don, I like your philosophy. You are dead right - if you enjoy your old bikes, then go ahead and do it. Life's too short, and we never know what's around the corner!

I've really enjoyed your KZ1300 story so far. Your experiences have added considerably to the knowledge base of the forum. I'm looking forward to the point where you have the bike running 100% correct, THEN I'd like to hear your opinion on the bike's performance and characteristics, in particular when compared to your other bikes.
Keep the posts coming!

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28718

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
Don,
Did you cobble up a thermocouple as a temperature cross check??
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28722

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

biltonjim wrote: Don, I like your philosophy. You are dead right - if you enjoy your old bikes, then go ahead and do it. Life's too short, and we never know what's around the corner!

I've really enjoyed your KZ1300 story so far. Your experiences have added considerably to the knowledge base of the forum. I'm looking forward to the point where you have the bike running 100% correct, THEN I'd like to hear your opinion on the bike's performance and characteristics, in particular when compared to your other bikes.
Keep the posts coming!

Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I get a bit discouraged.. I've been attempting a 100% bike that has, to be honest, NEVER been a 100% bike. Of all I've owned, the KZ has been, far and away, the most 'fragile'. Replace PhuckedUp for 'fragile'. :whistle:

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28723

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Stiggy wrote: Don,
Did you cobble up a thermocouple as a temperature cross check??

Not yet.. I've been chasing issues on my 240,000 mile 2006 FJR.. and only have one lift.. However, my thermostat, new, arrived from England today.. So I'll try to take some dimensional measurements in a pan of hot water then install. During that process I'll cob something together, thermocouple wise.. as it will be next week before I can work again on the FJR, waiting on parts...

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds