Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating 3 years 3 months ago #28431

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Well, maybe, just.. maybe it's good again?
B U R P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating 3 years 3 months ago #28432

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Progress. Nice !! I'll suggest that the "hot spot" is the area of the rad that's flowing. Sounds like you need to flush the rad ( which I suspected from seeing the video's showing the velocity of the coolant when flowing.)Too bad you don't have access to a infrared camera (thermography) It's the best way to see blocked areas of a rad. Can't count how many times I've considered buying an IR camera for checking insulation/heat loss issues in houses, inspecting circuit breaker panels, looking for faulty connections in wires etc. Every time I see a posted problem like this, I ask myself again, should I go and buy an IR camera? My predictive maintenance team at the nuclear plant used IR cameras and vibration analysis to help set up our maintenance program so I'm well aware of the capabilities of these tools and of course drives me to consider tools like this for my toolbox.
Good luck Don. Looks like you headed down the right track.
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcarver220b

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating 3 years 3 months ago #28433

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Kawboy wrote: Progress. Nice !! I'll suggest that the "hot spot" is the area of the rad that's flowing. Sounds like you need to flush the rad ( which I suspected from seeing the video's showing the velocity of the coolant when flowing.)
Agree on the flush. Poor decision, I added stop leak when I thought the base gasket was leaking. Plus, who knows what might have happened when welding tanks onto the core during the build.

Too bad you don't have access to a infrared camera (thermography) It's the best way to see blocked areas of a rad. Can't count how many times I've considered buying an IR camera for checking insulation/heat loss issues in houses, inspecting circuit breaker panels, looking for faulty connections in wires etc. Every time I see a posted problem like this, I ask myself again, should I go and buy an IR camera?
I'm just a back yard hack, but I love having correct tools. Found this on eBay which looks promising and affordable. Found this video demonstrating the unit and reviewing the Technical Specs too. What do you think of the unit? I'll research a bit more, but am ready to pull the trigger on it. (Christmas gift to myself!)

My predictive maintenance team at the nuclear plant used IR cameras and vibration analysis to help set up our maintenance program so I'm well aware of the capabilities of these tools and of course drives me to consider tools like this for my toolbox.
We have more in common than previously known. I'm retired from Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant, Metrology supervisor and former Instrumentation and Control Technician. I still go back for outages in order to afford KZ parts. :) My lab calibrated all types of Measuring and Test Equipment, voltmeters, ammeters, flow, temperature, vibration, time, the whole gig.

Good luck Don. Looks like you headed down the right track.
Thanks KB, I'm off to find a radiator shop.
KB

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating 3 years 3 months ago #28434

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I swear that the older I get the smaller the world gets. I was out on safari in the outback of New Zealand romping around in the back of a Land Rover with 10 other people. One guy 6ft 5in tall ask what I did for a living and I told him that I worked at Pickering Nuclear for the past 29 years. He asked if I knew Steve Mitchell and I did as he was a senior VP at the plant and I spoke with him often. This guy worked on a US nuclear submarine with him for 5 years before Mitchell left for Pickering. They still maintain a friendship.
You must be snickering in the background when I go off on a nuclear tangent. I've found that my brain got rewired after joining nuclear and I approach problems in a more methodical way than I did as an auto mechanic (which i was prior to going to nuclear) Small world.
Your background in Instrumentation and Control explains why you have a Fluke thermometer. Once you've used Fluke, you don't want anything else in your toolbox if you can afford it !!
Your IR camera find is an interesting one at that price range. I've spent hours pouring over comparison videos rating all kinds and it would appear that FLIR are the Fluke's of the IR industry and I'm considering the FLIR One for android because of price point but if I found $600 laying around I would opt for the FLIR C2. Your option at $139 is very interesting and I would like to see more comparisons on that one before making a final decision.
Good luck and may your Christmas Day be full of IR images.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating 3 years 3 months ago #28435

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
Good to see you are making good progress.
Without going off topic too far..... I am / was in instrumentation and control too. I worked at a petrochemicals plant in the UK for 36 years as instrument tech, IE engineer, process control engineer before moving with the same company off shore to Angola on 28/28 rotation. Loop tuning and process optimisation is my speciality. I have worked on most dcs/ icss kit including honeywell, yokogawa, Rosemount, Emerson delta v. .
Sounds like a CV..!!!
It must the complexity of the z1300 that attracts us to it.
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating 3 years 3 months ago #28436

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds