• Page:

TOPIC:

Insulating the bottom of the fuel-tank. 6 years 4 months ago #18307

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
As suggested a long time ago I put some automotive insulation on the bottom of the tank (in the areas under the foil tape in the first picture. I used the type typically found under carpeting - used for sound-dampening. It's about 5mm thick. Due to space only some areas could be insulated. Can't say to what degree (no pun intended) this has had to the engine performance by reducing the engine heat transfer to the fuel but there certainly must be some advantage. Regardless - I patched some tears and applied a new layer of aluminum tape. You'll see a wire retainer on the fuel sender pig-tail. It prevents the wires being pulled off of the terminals! The location of the clip and the direction it orients the pig-tail allows me to simply take out the tank-bolt, disconnect the fuel-line and remove the tank without having to first unplug the fuel-sender. It unplugs itself without fear of breaking any wires. The harness end is secured to the frame

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Insulating the bottom of the fuel-tank. 6 years 3 months ago #18308

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi scotch
did you consider this an absolute must ? Forgive me the potential critical tone, no disrespect intended. Do you have a fairing mounted that kills your airstream ?

I would be worried about humidity/ water between the insulation and the paint.

cheers, Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Insulating the bottom of the fuel-tank. 6 years 3 months ago #18309

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
BigSix wrote: I would be worried about humidity/ water between the insulation and the paint.

That's a valid point B6 ! I did this so many years ago I can't remember when. It was back when I was having issues that I didn't realize at the time were created by compounded problems. No "Forum" at the time I had to muddle through and this was one of many suggestions. Over the years I sorted out the electrical, ignition and carb. problems and the insulation just remained. I've occasionally had to re-attach some of the corners of the material where the contact-adhesive let go. Curious of what was happening under it, I would lift it a bit more to see, before reattaching it. So far - no rust or anything that appears to be starting as such. When I repainted, the bottom of the tank got new primer and paint as well - so maybe this has kept me out of trouble. Your point would be of great concern for me if my riding included a lot of wet -weather and/or if I "hosed" the bike regularly to wash it. Having a wet liner would certainly promote corrosion - in which case I'd remove it.
Good question none-the less!
Shit ! Now I'm looking at the tank strictly as it was made - in 2 pieces - a top and a bottom and thinking it would be a "relatively" straight-forward job to make a top and bottom mould and make a fiber-glass tank ! Shit ! Now I'm thinking "go Big or Go Home" ....... a Carbon-Fiber tank.....and of course that means the same treatment for the side covers and tail-piece.

Thanks a lot ! :S Good thing it would be cost prohibitive for me! Think I'll let this idea go...............for now! :whistle:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Insulating the bottom of the fuel-tank. 6 years 3 months ago #18325

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi Scotch

Got it. "I did this so many years ago" explains a lot. The reason why I am curious is that when I got my bike I've heart stories about the fuel heating up to an extend that when you opened the tank-cap it shooting out hand-high.
I never experienced such an issue and discussed it with several people. The main reason used to be a 70's style fairing, blocking all the air-flow under the fuel-tank. Sounded reasonable.
I noticed some people even installed self-made small sheets, trying to steer the fresh air in under the tank to blow the heated air out.

If you live in central Europe your bike will for sure get into heavy rain on occasion, that would be my concern.

All the best,

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds