TOPIC:

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16560

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
srech77
hi from NZ.
im just getting over being pissed at how much you paid! eventually ill congratulate you F%$*
Kawboy is absolutely correct in saying from this end of the world pardon me if your religious! BUT THAT'S A GOD DAMN BARGAIN !
you would easy pay $13000.00 for that originality?condition in New Zealand or Australia
mine was closer to $5000.00 US 6 years ago, however it was a friggin mess, the whole rear end cut off it, none of the loom components connected carbs completely butchered, anyways sure you get the idea
have just been looking at one in Australia nothing like the condition yours appears and its way over double what your looking at, thats not being rude about the owner, its sadly reflective of what we pay, the cost of parts with the freight for us down here is at times astronomical also, so even a run down thing like mine then can spiral out of control when you start to restore or even just get tidy and reliable
i got a zzr1100 tensioner from Z power in Uk 78.75 pounds plus shipping! just check the spring length when you get off them as they advertise it as (modified for the Z1300) this to me would mean the spring has been shortened by 10mm!, however when i asked verification of this they could not answer. it is the same as ZX11. you will need to shorten either of these the obligatory 10mm if its a standard unit, why?? to relieve the spring tension on chain guide.
it would be wise to have either a new cover gasket, or some gasket paper pretty straight forward to make one, lot cheaper than just trying to buy that gasket,depending on how long its been on and if the last person used any sealing agent, its purely luck if it comes off in one piece.if your replacing the cam sprocket it would be wise to just buy a engine gaskit set then you have everything covered in the eventuality other issues arise.
i think its off with park/ on/ and off if its in off the bike wont start regardless of ignition switch (Yeah somewhat odd)
im assuming the fan was running when you turned it off after riding it/
if so, once any engine has reached fan run temperature it will keep going after ignition has turned off to prevent the engine heating further due to no cooling happening
I agree with Kawboy the gel is fine i did look into Lithium for my Ducatis but you really need a different charging set up for them.
you have joined a really good site with some very clued up Zed13 people, dont be shy to take advantage of that, these bikes have some quirks/idiosyncrasies very particular to them, having had a vast array of mechanical experience over the years i have even been caught out with the odd issue.
most here also as me like to share our bike experiences and love their of, all things two wheels, which can be quite amusing at times so if your so inclined it would be good to hear any of yours
Dion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16561

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Srech77 Hi from another kiwi great buy wont say anymore im going to pour a stiff drink .Dion i have a factory zzr 11 tensioner let me know the spring length and ill measure mine when i sober up may take a while lol:(
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750

Last edit: by kiwirider.

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16564

• srech77
  • srech77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Haha! I feel for you gents ... I really do - But thank you for fortifying my purchase a bit ;) Based on prior comments, I was able to go on and purchase an APE manual cam chain tensioner (I have installed one on a different bike, so hopefully the process is similar), I also bought the Liska cam gear, some new Dunlop rubbers, a new oil filter, and some brake pads. He said he had changed the oil and filter, and the differential fluid, but it looks pretty dark to me, and I almost couldn't even see any oil in the sight glass window while it's on the center stand.

When you said Rotella T oil ... are you referring to the T6 synthetic, or the T5 conventional? I have used Rotella in the past with great results.

By no means it is show quality, but it is very nice for being a 38ish year old bike! Pictures are still crap ... was the best I could do before I had to leave for work...

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16566

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Congratulations appears to be in order. Shouldn't be any doubt by now that you've found a remarkable 1300. If a Shop Manual comes with the bike ( and I'd be surprised if the P/O didn't have one) then you're pretty much set for reading material for the next few weeks.
You know what they say about opinions ! These are just a few of mine, based on 37 years of owning 1 and having to sort a lot of the bugs out myself, before finding this Forum.
In no particular order, here's my thoughts and I should say that this is not to intimidate or confuse you.
Battery? - With a machine this pristine and mechanically sound you shouldn't need a $200.00+ battery and I'll make this suggestion. Buy the cheapest one that fits. I've been running a Wal-Mart $70.00 battery for about 5 years and it works just fine. You don't need anything more if the bike starts, charges and holds a charge. The Alternator puts out (about) a mere 20 amps. A higher cranking-amp, fully charged battery would certainly provide some surplus electrical storage for your accessories - until they drain the battery. - the alternator is the limiting factor. Keep the electrical load lite by avoiding auxiliary "anything". However, and strictly MY opinion, there's another reason to go "Cheap" on the battery. This is something that's concerned me for a long time, especially when I read of someone putting in something like an "Odyssey" battery. These bikes have a reputation for having the fuel bowls over-flow, creating a Hydraulic-lock in the cylinders. Many have reported bent connecting rods ! Put in a High Cranking Amp battery and this is almost guaranteed. Put in a "cheap" significantly lower capacity battery and you reduce the risk because it may not have the power to rotate the engine past TDC. You shouldn't need anything more then a basic battery for your almost new1300.
Related to this and I can't stress this enough: First chance you have when the tank is close to empty; remove the fuel-valve and determine if the OEM internal filter is in place and intact. I suspect it is based on your description of the tank condition so you're probably OK, BUT... A piece of lint or spec of other foreign material in the float-valve will create a flooding situation. A (additional) filter will help prevent this. Don't be bamboozled into believing you need something that would otherwise fit a Turbo-Cummins Diesel. I've always used a WIX-33027. It's small, easily located and flows more then enough fuel ! Whether as your primary filter or as a redundant, filtering is critical ! . .........and ALWAYS turn off your fuel tank valve when parked !
Cam-chain tensioner - A MUST DO ! Easy and inexpensive. Two popular methods: Modify the original or buy the ZX-11 one and follow the recommendations.
The "whine"? Given the design of the engine/transmission with it's auxiliary shafts, gears and chains running water-pumps, ignition timing, oil-pumps and that notorious nylon cam-chain tensioning gear.....I wouldn't be concerned. 12,500 miles is just "Nice Broken In". Nothing indicates anything but tender loving care by the P/O. Put some miles on it and get your ear tuned in to the "New Sound". You'll be better able to discern a problem, if and when something sounds different. Mine for example has an audible whine in 2nd gear - always has. 78,000Kilometers and that sound has not changed to any perceivable degree. They will all rattle a bit for the first few minutes until the oil gets up into the head and quiets the lifters and until the engine has warmed-up a bit and the idle smooth's out.
Sea Foam? Good call ! Should be no need for it. You're on track about the "ethanol" fuel.
Liska Gear? Your OEM nylon gear should be in great condition with such low mileage (and the apparent care by the P/O). To be prudent you can certainly remove the cam cover and check this out but YES, have a new cam-cover gasket standing by. All things being equal -The thought of anyone breaking down the top-end of such a pristine low mileage machine simply for the "Academic" sake of replacing this gear is simply sacrilegious and potentially can get someone into deep shit ! "If it ain't Broke - ........"
The gasket itself?: Personally speaking, don't use gasket sealers on this gasket. I had to replace mine about 30 years ago when the OEM gasket wouldn't come off intact. Before installing a new one, I lightly "wet" the cylinder head side with a few drops of clean engine oil. A "non-stick" pre-treatment? To this day everything is dry, it remains on the cam-cover but otherwise comes off the head easily so all I can say is it's worth considering. Tighten the cam-cover bolts to spec. ! If you don't have a good quality 1/4" drive "click" torque wrench; you should consider one. Even torque across the cover will assure things stay dry !
Fork seals? Ya, they're known for leaking ! best thing you can do to preserve them is to keep the struts clean, clean, clean ! Bug guts can dry like concrete and will destroy the seals. " 'nuff said" !
Key switches, parking-lights, locks? Probably The First question by panicked "new" owners. Sounds like you already have this figured out. A bit of reading and playing with the two keyed switches will sort this out in your mind. "If nothing works - Check your ass" !
Oil? Oh, Brother; You don't have enough time in the day ! One of the MOST controversial and opinionated topics there can be. Read and ask - Then make your informed choice.
Brakes! Sounds like you're not impressed - like a lot of owners. Replacing them with a quality set of S/S Braided will make a significant difference.
Electrical! Even a pristine machine can have tarnish/oxidization on the male/female connectors. This is a known destroyer of Voltage regulators/alternators. The major connectors are behind the right-side cover. Split and reconnect each several times to help ensure a viable voltage/current path. I expect they'll all look pretty new and shiny, BUT.......

.......and again - Welcome, congratulations and don't be shy !

scotch
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dion

Last edit: by scotch.

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16568

• srech77
  • srech77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1

scotch wrote: Congratulations appears to be in order. Shouldn't be any doubt by now that you've found a remarkable 1300. If a Shop Manual comes with the bike ( and I'd be surprised if the P/O didn't have one) then you're pretty much set for reading material for the next few weeks.
You know what they say about opinions ! These are just a few of mine, based on 37 years of owning 1 and having to sort a lot of the bugs out myself, before finding this Forum.
In no particular order, here's my thoughts and I should say that this is not to intimidate or confuse you.
Battery? - With a machine this pristine and mechanically sound you shouldn't need a $200.00+ battery and I'll make this suggestion. Buy the cheapest one that fits. I've been running a Wal-Mart $70.00 battery for about 5 years and it works just fine. You don't need anything more if the bike starts, charges and holds a charge. The Alternator puts out (about) a mere 20 amps. A higher cranking-amp, fully charged battery would certainly provide some surplus electrical storage for your accessories - until they drain the battery. - the alternator is the limiting factor. Keep the electrical load lite by avoiding auxiliary "anything". However, and strictly MY opinion, there's another reason to go "Cheap" on the battery. This is something that's concerned me for a long time, especially when I read of someone putting in something like an "Odyssey" battery. These bikes have a reputation for having the fuel bowls over-flow, creating a Hydraulic-lock in the cylinders. Many have reported bent connecting rods ! Put in a High Cranking Amp battery and this is almost guaranteed. Put in a "cheap" significantly lower capacity battery and you reduce the risk because it may not have the power to rotate the engine past TDC. You shouldn't need anything more then a basic battery for your almost new1300. .........and ALWAYS turn off your fuel tank valve when parked !
Cam-chain tensioner - A MUST DO ! Easy and inexpensive. Two popular methods: Modify the original or buy the ZX-11 one and follow the recommendations.
The "whine"? Given the design of the engine/transmission with it's auxiliary shafts, gears and chains running water-pumps, ignition timing, oil-pumps and that notorious nylon cam-chain tensioning gear.....I wouldn't be concerned. 12,500 miles is just "Nice Broken In". Nothing indicates anything but tender loving care by the P/O. Put some miles on it and get your ear tuned in to the "New Sound". You'll be better able to discern a problem, if and when something sounds different. Mine for example has an audible whine in 2nd gear - always has. 78,000Kilometers and that sound has not changed to any perceivable degree. They will all rattle a bit for the first few minutes until the oil gets up into the head and quiets the lifters and until the engine has warmed-up a bit and the idle smooth's out.
Sea Foam? Good call ! Should be no need for it. You're on track about the "ethanol" fuel.
Liska Gear? Your OEM nylon gear should be in great condition with such low mileage (and the apparent care by the P/O). To be prudent you can certainly remove the cam cover and check this out but YES, have a new cam-cover gasket standing by. All things being equal -The thought of anyone breaking down the top-end of such a pristine low mileage machine simply for the "Academic" sake of replacing this gear is simply sacrilegious and potentially can get someone into deep shit ! "If it ain't Broke - ........"
The gasket itself?: Personally speaking, don't use gasket sealers on this gasket. I had to replace mine about 30 years ago when the OEM gasket wouldn't come off intact. Before installing a new one, I lightly "wet" the cylinder head side with a few drops of clean engine oil. A "non-stick" pre-treatment? To this day everything is dry, it remains on the cam-cover but otherwise comes off the head easily so all I can say is it's worth considering. Tighten the cam-cover bolts to spec. ! If you don't have a good quality 1/4" drive "click" torque wrench; you should consider one. Even torque across the cover will assure things stay dry !
Fork seals? Ya, they're known for leaking ! Nuff said !
Key switches, parking-lights, locks? Probably The First question by panicked "new" owners. Sounds like you already have this figured out. A bit of reading and playing with the two keyed switches will sort this out in your mind. "If nothing works - Check your ass" !
Oil? Oh, Brother; You don't have enough time in the day ! One of the MOST controversial and opinionated topics there can be. Read and ask - Then make your informed choice.
Brakes! Sounds like you're not impressed - like a lot of owners. Replacing them with a quality set of S/S Braided will make a significant difference.
Electrical! Even a pristine machine can have tarnish/oxidization on the male/female connectors. This is a known destroyer of Voltage regulators/alternators. The major connectors are behind the right-side cover. Split and reconnect each several times to help ensure a viable voltage/current path. I expect they'll all look pretty new and shiny, BUT.......
.......and again - Welcome, congratulations and don't be shy !

scotch

Scotch - many thanks for your valuable input and advice, it's really nice to have members who are willing to help a new owner out. So regarding your post, just a couple questions ... I located quickly, and purhcased an APE Manual CCT which looks like it's for the KZ1300 and ZN1300 respectively - but it sounds like no one uses this option? Just modifying the original or using the z1100 one? Is there a reason not to install the APE tensioner - I have had really good luck with APE in the past fixing factory tensioner problems...

The current battery, while not original, seems to work just fine .. starts the bike easily, all instrumentation and lights work, so I will probably leave that for the time being. Maybe keep it on a tender charger??

The oil thing - I realize this is about as open-ended a question as can be asked in the motorcycle community, and were the KZ a "newer" bike, I would use what has worked with me in the past, but I do know that sometimes with older bikes, a certain type or weight of oil can make a difference in those engines. I have some part-syn 10W-40 motorcycle oil currently in the garage I can use ... I've had good luck with Rotella T6 in some newer bikes, so idk, I just figured I would ask what the veteran KZ1300 owners run. However, I do believe the adage of frequent changes using quality oil is the best measure, and I have always adhered to that in the past.

I also couldn't agree more that the thought of starting to disassemble the engine because of the nylon cam gear or other reasons on a low mileage, clean, good running bike sounds unncessary. I would rather just do the appropriate maintenance, and get out and ride the thing for a while. Given that it's a bike that hasn't been ridden much in its years, I think some of the best medicine would be putting some miles on the clock and running good fuel through it. I did notice the oil looks low in the sigh glass (barely reaching the bottom line), so either it wasn't filled up properly by P/O or it is using some oil, which from my reading is common with the KZ.

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16572

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
srech77 Congratulations on your acquisition of a fantastic example of a KZ1300. So nice to see an unmolested one. Quite amazing to see that even plating on the heads of the bolts / nuts etc. is still fresh looking. The bike has obviously had a caring owner, even allowing for the low mileage.
I bought a non-running 17000 mile A4 KZ1300 several years ago. It is original except for the ignition coils, but needs a full scale cosmetic restoration. Unfortunately, I don't have the use of a work shop in which to do the job, so the bike just sits in the darkness of a lock-up garage
I hope you get hours of enjoyment from your '79. It is certainly worth taking care of.

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds