Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16545

• srech77
  • srech77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey all - just joined the forum .. hoping to get some preemptive tips from the KZ experts out there. I don't know anything about the KZ1300 other than it makes magnificent sounds and is a rare straight six bike.

The bike I am going to look at is a 1979 KZ1300, the ad says it is a one owner, all original, 12,500 miles. The pictures aren't super close up, but it looks really nice! He's asking $4,500 ... ANYWAY, are there some things that I should be looking for when I go to check it out. I am not a newbie to bikes by any means, just this bike in particular. I realize it can be hard to really examine things unless you start pulling off side covers, unbolting carbs, etc...but maybe you have some tips for me. Obviously I will look over things like tires, brakes, suspension, paint, frame, etc.. really well. And I will ride it ... no doubt.

Thanks in advance! Cheers -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by srech77.

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16546

• srech77
I asked the guy if he has done any maintenance over the years, or had any issues with it ... he said he has never messed with the carbs, but he did have to replace the coils - nology profire coils and Taylor wires?

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16547

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
First off, Welcome to the Forum. Always nice to have new blood.
Take a look at the FAQ tab at the top of the page. All of your questions will be answered there.
$4500.00 is strong money DEPENDING ON what part of the world you're in. For that kind of money I would expect a sound running unit including a steady idle and a nice roll on from the start. Probably the biggest concern a lot of our members have is related to the carburetors. Second to that are electrical issues which and I'm sticking my neck out here, are related to bad connections and poor grounds.
There are "other" long term issues and you'll see what I mean in the FAQ section but at 12,500 miles, you should be just fine provided the speedo hasn't been rolled back.
All the best with your purchasing alet us know what you finally get. And let's not forget, we're a bunch of old guys on this site and eye candy goes big around here. So lots of pictures please.
Kawboy

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16549

• srech77

Kawboy wrote: First off, Welcome to the Forum. Always nice to have new blood.
Take a look at the FAQ tab at the top of the page. All of your questions will be answered there.
$4500.00 is strong money DEPENDING ON what part of the world you're in. For that kind of money I would expect a sound running unit including a steady idle and a nice roll on from the start. Probably the biggest concern a lot of our members have is related to the carburetors. Second to that are electrical issues which and I'm sticking my neck out here, are related to bad connections and poor grounds.
There are "other" long term issues and you'll see what I mean in the FAQ section but at 12,500 miles, you should be just fine provided the speedo hasn't been rolled back.
All the best with your purchasing alet us know what you finally get. And let's not forget, we're a bunch of old guys on this site and eye candy goes big around here. So lots of pictures please.
Kawboy

Thank you for the welcome and the response! I actually just got back from looking at the bike, and riding it. Being that I'm going into the KZ1300 totally cold and unfamiliar, other than what I was able to read about in the hour or two prior to going out to see it, I would say it's very nice! It definitely looks like a time capsule. Very nice paint and panels, nothing missing, engine looks really clean and untouched, always stored indoors. He did say that there were periods of several years (5+) where it had sat without being run - which I know from experience can be really bad.

It belongs to the gentleman's father ... this guy (the son, probably late 30s, 40s maybe for age) seemed like he really didn't want to sell it. We live in Billings, MT ... and in all my life here, I have never seen a KZ1300 in these parts, so I would classify it as very rare here. I was feeling like $4,500 was a bit steep ... but given the condition I don't feel like it's too steep, maybe?

I coaxed him into letting me ride it, although he was a bit hesitant. It fires up first turn of the motor, idles perfect, no hiccups .... all the pipes felt warm (as I kept feeling them since it was a cold start) as it sat and ran for a few minutes. He has replaced all the fluids, along with the plugs, wires, coils ... but never touched the carbs. I had never ridden a KZ1300 prior to this, but in my opinion (having been on a few older bikes) it seemed to run almost flawlessly! clutch seemed tight, it ran up through the rev range smoothly, pulled nice and hard, had a great sound to it.

I could hear a bit of a whining, humming, idk what to call it noise as the rpms increased ... can someone speak to that? Is that clutch, driveline noise? Intake? Carbs?

Anyway, it seemed to run really nice. Never got hot, temperature seems about right where it should be. He had put new tires on it, new brake fluid - seems to stop okay-ish, as I keep in mind that it's an older bike and I'm used to modern nissin and brembo calipers and rotors.

It has a newer battery - in fact the only real cosmetic defect I could see was that apparently the original battery had leaked a bit of fluid down the overflow tube and onto the exhaust pipe where the stand goes up .. so there are some streaks there that probably will be there forever. Not terrible looking, but something nonetheless.

Gauges work well, although I notice the high beam light doesn't come up, even though the high beam works (so my guess is the little bulb needs replaced on the cluster). The suspension seem pretty good for a 79 - I did notice a beak of fluid on the inner fork tube after I rode it for a bit. I asked about it and he said the fork may be a little "damp" ... but I'm assuming some new forks seals, oil, and boots would do the trick there?

I'll see if I can post a picture here for you guys. I really liked the bike, and the thrill from that BIG SIX motor is unmatched in my days of bike riding - so much fun and sounds really nice! I do have hesitation when it comes to things like the timing system, and carbs, and things like cam buckets, shimming, etc... I'm okay wrenching my way around bikes, but SIX cylinders is A LOT, and I don't really know how complex the timing system is. I will go read throughout this forum to try and bone up on it.

Maybe someone can tell me if parts are difficult to source for this thing? It seems just old enough ... but maybe new enough to where stuff is still available, idk?
Attachments:

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16550

• srech77
Maybe the pictures will show up better if you look at the actual CL listing .. here is that link. I already asked if he is firm on that price, and he said yes. But idk ... assuming the bike is "really nice" and runs great ... do you think that's way overpriced, or about on par considering the geographic location, history, mileage, and condition? Thanks all -

billings.craigslist.org/mcy/6145180107.html

Last edit: by srech77.

Looking at used KZ1300, any help from the crowd? 6 years 10 months ago #16551

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Oh there's going to be some boys in New Zealand pissed when they see this post. To them $4500.00 would be an absolute steal especially when it's running sweet !! One of them Dion I think paid upwards of $15000 for a unit from the U.S. and it has problems. Not that he can't deal with them. Just that for the money it should have been golden.
I bought a basket case for $500 and by the time I'm finished putting me baby together I'll be above $6,000. So getting an absolute mint stock with that mileage for that money, you'd better run over there and grab it. All and all, a fair price.
As far as the noise- if you can post a video, we can help. These bikes like to eat cam tensioner nylon gears and there is an aftermarket gear made by Liska which is steel. Maybe ask him if he's had a Liska tensioner gear installed. The Liska gear will humm for a bit until it meshes in.

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds