Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

S.N.A.F.U. 6 years 11 months ago #16248

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Well it did not take the old girl long: following a lot of work over the past year and a great deal of initial promise, she has again thrown a strop and wants nothing more than to laze around in my garage. All joking aside, its so frustrating that I just got her runnning perfectly after a couple of challenging years, and 200 miles later its yet another problem - in itself its no big issue, carbs off again and investigate why she dumpimg fuel out the airbox (I guess float sticking open) - but collectively it feels like "The death of a 1000 cuts".

I love riding my Z13, but am surprised how unreliable my Z13 appears in comparison to other old bikes I am fortunate enough to own - got me thinking if other owners had similar experience. Still, I can't see me selling her anytime soon :whistle:
Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tonto.

S.N.A.F.U. 6 years 11 months ago #16250

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
There's one check you may want to look at and it's often overlooked when adjusting floats. There is a tang on the float which prevents the float from dropping so low that the float needle comes out of the needle seat to a point where the needle will bind when the float tries to close the needle seat and causes a flooding condition.
Another issue can be when the neoprene tip on the needle hardens and doesn't fully seat in the needle seat. You should be able to pinch the neoprene with your finger nail and remove and not see an imprint from your nail.
Last but not least, there has been quite a few issues with the spring wire that attaches to the needle and engages on the float tab. The aftermarket needles come with the replacement wire and that wire doesn't fit worth a shit. Anyone who had your problem in the past especially with those needle retaining wires, replaced the wires with the original wires and all got well. Pretty sure Scotch posted this subject with pics of the bad and good wires last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto

S.N.A.F.U. 6 years 11 months ago #16252

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I think the article KB is referring to, from myself, was about making my own needle retaining springs. I do recall seeing the side-by side pictures of OEM vs Aftermarket.

A point worth bringing up with respect to KB's valid comment about "Float-drop". My Brass Floats are designed differently. I set the maximum float drop during assembly and therefore there is no user-adjustment available or required.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

S.N.A.F.U. 6 years 11 months ago #16253

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
A couple of things I found with my A5 are:

The float seats have a clip over the needles so they cant fall out regardless of how far the float drops.

The tips of the needles are steel, no neoprene (I found that a bit odd).

Even after rebuilding my carbs with new jets, needles, seats, float valves, seats they will still flood overnight if the fuel is left on.

S.N.A.F.U. 6 years 11 months ago #16254

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Tim those floats were a PITA from the day I got my 13. The carbs were the single biggest problem with them and caused 2 people I know to get rid of their bike in very short order.
Even the crappy coils couldn't hold a candle to those things.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

S.N.A.F.U. 6 years 11 months ago #16257

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Sorry to hear of your problems Tim i know how frustrating these bikes are but with help from the people on this site you will get there i think scotchs floats will be the answer you need i am going to order some myself cheers Graham
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds