Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

fork alteration 6 years 5 months ago #17825

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
This sounds like an interesting upgrade, Dion. I look forward to reading about how much of an improvement you get.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

fork alteration 6 years 3 months ago #18462

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi all
heres some pics on the suspension brake change
have fitted and set up the Emulators and springs in Robes bike, took it for a run and quite happy with it far less dive rebound is ok but will fettle around a bit more with mine to see how much control i can acquire.
you can see the extra set of holes on the damper tube 6 instead of 4 now
ill have to at a latter date fill in all the spec set up i have used on Rob and mine, cant find where i put it at moment.
you will not the plastic spacer on top of the springs i set mine at 200mm long this give approximately 17mm preload ,i will probably drop that back to 10mm preload as i am running the 100kg springs this will also enable some more gradual control in the rebound dept
Robs has 20 weight fork oil
i have picked up a hydraulic oil that's rated between 20/25 weight fork oil , this was purly out of curiosity in trying a heavier weight oil, we loaded extra oli in Robs over factory spec and it has made a difference.
2nd/3rd pics show the set up, washers top and bottom of plastic tube spring emulator damper tube
4th pic shows emulator, you can get 4 different springs to go on these, if i have this correct its silver/red/blue/yellow in that order for weight yellow being the higher end silver lower
if you buy a kit specify the springs you want for emulators they seem to vary with the boxes, mine came with all 4 Robs had blue and yellow
fork springs are 90kg 95kg 100kg me thinks! less weight softer ride
last pics is the Brembos i fitted to the forks by simply adding on a 21mm solid round bar cut to length , then i put a backing plate bolted to existing holes set the plugs in place and tigged on about 70 amps, fork tube distortion is completley absorbed by the old mount holes,BUT if you do as i did and tig up the old holes you will get a small amount of distortion to tube though its dependent on how long you take to fill the hole.
i rectified that by running a small hone down the tube with cutting compound few up downs and all good again
doing it this way means if for some real real really! strange reason you ever wanted to go back to original you can just cut off extension and re drill old holes
you could always just use a 2pack filler on the old holes and flick a bit of paint on
i used wattly super etch followed up by 2k full gloss
Dion
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

fork alteration 6 years 3 months ago #18472

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
That's a very nice job, Dion. Which bike were those Brembo calipers from?

fork alteration 6 years 3 months ago #18503

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Ducati mate!
im thinking 1000ss
but you just look up Brembo 65mm mount calipers and the will all work
the standard mounting for KZ is 65mm! so pretty easy to adapt
you should just make sure calipers are twin pin (ie pads mount on 2 pins not 1)
earlier models had 1 pin, not as good but ok if thats all you can get
Graem fitted a set to his using the adaptor plates sold in US im sure he just used his standard master cylinder
i got the matching Ducati 1.
now just need to have braided lines made
as you can see these calipers have a 90 degree bend off them for the lines so you cant reuse old lines.
i will keep the center link assembly, as it looks better only having one line run up to the bars
regards Dion
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Last edit: by Kawboy.

fork alteration 5 years 4 months ago #22483

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Well tis that time of year again
i would like to offer up to all a very merry xmas from NZ
may all your drinks be wet the rides dry and full of memories!.
can any one tell me ??, the front rear master cylinder kits run different part #, but does any one know if the front can be used in the rear ?
when i was young and mechanicing all the workshops used to carry PBR cylinder kits , it was great, you just went along and compared the visual appearance until you got a match, great thing about that obviously you weren't paying for the manufacturers badge!.alas no one carrys stock here now days unless its for specific models (not being 1300 !!)
and if anyone hears about injection stuff going at a reasonable price i would appreciate the heads up.
merry xmas all
dion
has anyone seen the latest electric bike?
its from Samsung! i wonder if you get a free phone with it so you can ring up AA when the battery catches on fire Ha!
Attachments:

fork alteration 5 years 4 months ago #22486

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi Dion,

I am relative newbie here and have just read this entire thread. I would be lost without the forum and certainly wouldn't have taken on the challenge of restoring a KZ1300 without it being in existence. I am a member of other forums (I am blessed and cursed with a fleet of old cr*p that needs maintaining) and they are all invaluable.

I have a set of good pistons and new rings for an injection model if you are interested. I bought them in error.... well, I thought they'd be OK in my non-injection model, but turns out they are not (again, the forum was key in discovering this).

Send me a PM if you are. I can make some pics and send over before you decide.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds