TOPIC:

Newbie in Caifornia 6 years 10 months ago #16732

• Dion
  • Dion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi all been, meaning to get some pics up
my bike is a bit of a half ass at the moment in that im presently concentrating on just getting it to NZ licensing standard.
i will get rego done so i know their is no issues, ride it and collect all the parts i need to then completely pull down to rebuild in a modified manner of sorts
anyways pic
1 Rob his son and i first fire up, we ended up fitting Robs carbs/coils of his bike in a effort to get going , only to find the problem was 3teeth out on the gear drive for ignition shaft, HMM obviously last owner had done foopar!
2 sanded guard/tank to metal as paint was so thick and damaged, plastics are all sanded back to plastic and presently in getting welded, then will plasti prime and coat in primer only as tank in #3
3 F/master cylinder shagged ordered after market remote reservoir unit,with matching clutch setup, rear master stripped hand honed paint stripped and back on bike.
using tooth brush have been cleaning frame and all hidden areas,( this will obviously eventually be addressed properly when bike comes apart)
will fit new head bearings now, forks apart cleaned up will be putting in new seals next few days then work out fluid and quantity's( for anyone keen on playing with the standard forks i came across some progressive springs being sold by a German crowed on Ebay i think!). i will eventually fit something else that has compression/preload/rebound and 4 or 6 pot calipers.
have bought Domino l&R switch blocks and single Domino throttle, to go on Renthal BLK bars.
presently hunting a 27LTR tank
have been a bit of a copy cat in following Rob with a Yamaha XJ550 seat and tail piece, it does nicely shorten up the bike.
anyways will load more as it comes together.
Dion
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie in Caifornia 6 years 10 months ago #16737

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Love the ambition. Go for it!!

Newbie in Caifornia 6 years 7 months ago #17392

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Welded up tappet cover
interestingly found the alloy to be very porous and must have high magnesium content
found it very difficult to get a clean Tig finish
anyways presently modifying front fork tubes to take the brembo 4 pot calipers without adapters.
have found a guy in NZ who can source Emulators to fit into our Forks haven't a price yet but will put on site once known
these when setup right will make a huge difference to the performance of the standard forks
any one seen the new Z900r aircooled version pics being bandied about the webb?
Attachments:

Newbie in Caifornia 6 years 7 months ago #17402

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
When it comes to welding aluminum "Cleanliness is next to Godlyness" Oil and carbon contamination will always cause grief. Adjusting the AC wavelength more to the cleaning side will help, but that will increase the heat input. My preference is to bake the part in an oven to drive the oil out of the porous casting and cleaning up with brake cleaner to help suck out any more oil. Alunimum is vrey porous and will wick oil into its pores. When you try to weld it, the oil burns off and leaves the carbon which fouls the weld.
This is probably not news to you if You have the welding equipment for welding aluminum. Posting this is to provide general knowledge to those who may have "projects" they are considering having welded.

fork alteration 6 years 6 months ago #17503

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Hi all here is some snaps of the fork tubes i modified
i welded on 19mm round bar above the standard caliper mounting points, the holes in the standard caliper mounts deflect any damaging heat(Distortion) from the tubes.
had a friend mill the mountside to ensure the calipers had a true surface
i used a Die grinder to shape and a 5inch grinder , this was followed up with a DA 180 grit
i etched primed then 3 coats of 2k, i went with the colour on as will eventually do the frame/tripple clamps/wheels etc the same
presently exploring Emulators for the forks and linear fork springs this will drastically improve the forks workings
John you are correct regards to alloy tig, have done for some 28 yrs and never had a problem as bad as this did use oxy to heat/clean area after sanding,
then cleaning with thinners, im of the belief this particular cover is just riddled with porosity for whatever reason as i could have followed pin holes opening up all over the cover
i decided to give up and use Devcon to fill the small pin holes.
as John points out (Cleanliness is next to Godliness as the saying goes) when welding alloy
Scotch i will list all the details on what is required to upgrade the internals when/if i get that all sorted , their will be some machining involved regards to both the dampner top and a emulator as you cannot get one that will just drop in and work.
Dion
Oh after all that the leg alterations was to allow me to run 65mm Brembo calipers (incidentally same spacing as the original KZ)
Attachments:

fork alteration 6 years 5 months ago #17824

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Hi all
if anyone is interested i have been making modifications to my KZ forks to improve their performance, the breaks i have upgraded as explained previously
now i have spent a lot of time tracking info regarding improving the performance of the actual fork itself
i have ended up going with race tech gear
primarily they where the best to deal with regarding investigating what could work
so i am waiting on Gold Valve Emulators and Linear action springs (i think they start from 85kg up to 100kg rate)
i went with the 100kg rate springs
i will use 20 weight oil
once i have them and have tested it all ill let you know how big a difference it makes
cost wise
FEGV S3801 is $169.99 GOLD VALVES
FRSP S3234 $129.99 SPRINGS
this is from Race tech US i dealt with Matt Wiley,
Dion
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, Kawboy

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds