• Page:

TOPIC:

Made in the USA or Japan? 9 years 2 weeks ago #7170

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Just something I've been curious about. I was under the impression that after 1980 KZ1300's were made in the US, for US sale. However my '81 clearly says "Made In Japan" on the frame sticker. Also all the bikes of this era made in the US had a vin number with the numerical portion starting with the number 5, the first number on my bike is a 0, again indicating it was made in Japan.

So how many of these were made in Japan vs the US? Does any one know? How about members bikes, what is your production date and location of manufacture?

Perhaps we should start a serial number list, if know one else has done it yet that is.
1981 KZ1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Made in the USA or Japan? 9 years 2 weeks ago #7172

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
There is a contradiction there alright.
Someeone at wikipedia knows:

The Kawasaki Z1300 was manufactured in several versions, namely: Z1300, KZ1300, ZG1300 and ZN1300. It is the biggest model of the still-ongoing Z series that was started in 1972 with the Z1 (900). In the U.S., the model was equipped with a windshield, suitcase, and a redesigned frame. This new model was called "Voyager". In Europe, the traditional model was still available. ]The last 200 models (built in America as all Z1300 models were), built in 1989, have been called "Legendary Six", and were equipped with a special logo on the fuel tank to show that to the public. After a ten-year production run, Kawasaki's only liquid-cooled six-cylinder engine bowed out in 1989 after 20,000 KZ1300/Z1300 models and 4,500 Voyager models had been produced.

I will check my frame number/ VIN tag

This is from the South African site

1981. The Z1300-A3

Starting frame number: JKAKZAA15BA-011501

The A3 was available in two colours: Holy green and Ebony. A chrome grab rail was fitted and the outer engine cases and air filter covers were chromed. The electronic ignition was modified and gas rear shocks absorbers were fitted. The A3 was now also being built at the Lincoln factory in The USA.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Last edit: by tackelhappy. Reason: correction

Made in the USA or Japan? 9 years 2 weeks ago #7174

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
A LITTLE INPUT WITH THE VOYAGER END OF IT :

www.amervoyassoc.org/voyager_history.php

Made in the USA or Japan? 9 years 2 weeks ago #7176

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I've heard the 20,000 figure before, and without confirmation from Kawasaki its just a guess I think.

My real question is how many were made in Japan and imported into the US, while US production was also going on? I am also assuming most of the European members here have Japanese built bikes? I doubt any built in the US where exported.... or were they?
1981 KZ1300

Made in the USA or Japan? 5 years 11 months ago #19819

• Sofiabg89
  • Largest 1300`s collection
  • Thank you received: 4
Only the last 200 bikes of 20000 production were assembled in Lincoln Nebraska and labeled -?legendary 6. The year was 1989. Also ALL 4500 ZNV 1300/ Voyager’s were made there as well. 1983-400 units and the rest through late 1988 as 1989 model. Only 4500 worldwide- all DFI
Nikola
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by Sofiabg89. Reason: Typo
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds