Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Looking for the person that rebuilds/refurbishes KZ1300 carbs for around $650.00 1 year 5 months ago #30831

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028

f_ wrote: These carbs sat outside on the bike for ten years and throttle shaft frozen Did partially disassemble to soak got shafts loose but would feel more comfortable with a good disassembly and sonic cleaning.

Well, regarding sonic cleaning- I worked in a nuclear power plant for 29 years and we used ultrasonic cleaners for a lot of cleaning. They do an amazing job micro scrubbing external surfaces but are useless for cleaning internal passageways. You can buy yourself a nice size 2 or 3 quart sonic cleaner for less than $200 and have the tool for future work.
As far as the internal passage cleaning- Lacquer thinner does an amazing job of dissolving the varnish build up which happens when gasoline evaporates leaving the varnish. All that really needs to be done is soaking the carb bodies in lacquer thinner and then blowing out the passages paying careful attention to the direction they get blown out. Scotch developed a "cleaning tool " for cleaning clearing the passages and if he still has tools available, they are worth the money. I just not sure if he still has any left. I believe he was stopping production.
All of the brass jets and emulsion tubes can be cleaned with q tips and metal polish like a product called "Autosol" and brought back to life.
Bottom line is attention to detail and thoroughly  inspecting each and every part and I see no reason why you can't do this yourself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Looking for the person that rebuilds/refurbishes KZ1300 carbs for around $650.00 1 year 5 months ago #30832

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I have 1 Cleaning tool remaining - returned as "Undeliverable" ? 

P.M. me your Full mane, mailing address, email address and phone #.  I'll send you a PayPal invoice for your approval and payment.  I mail using Canada Post Air Int'l.

The "'79 Carb Rebuild"  article is still very viable albeit with some now outdated procedures.
If the carbs are "that Bad",  buy rebuild kits and replace everything provided with this exception:   Do NOT Use the needle valve retaining clips UNLESS you've determined they will not interfere with the float-valve needle movement.  Otherwise reuse the OEM's.

As Kawboy stated: There is no reason most can not rebuild their own carbs.  Those that choose to have someone else do this for them, will never understand how they work or how to understand some of the issues these carburettors can present.  It's not Rocket Science. 

There are countless articles in this Forum that will help immensely if you take the time to "search" for them..   

"Bottom line is attention to detail and thoroughly  inspecting each and every part and I see no reason why you can't do this yourself."

I'll drink to that !

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: f_schenk, PaulD

Looking for the person that rebuilds/refurbishes KZ1300 carbs for around $650.00 1 year 5 months ago #30834

• Jafsteph
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi just take your time and plenty of pictures be methodical and you'll so be ok
The following user(s) said Thank You: f_schenk

Looking for the person that rebuilds/refurbishes KZ1300 carbs for around $650.00 1 year 5 months ago #30835

• giorgi3
  • Thank you received: 7
I'm not sure what the price is now days, but a few years ago jack from oldschoolcarbs.com rebuilt mine. I think it was around $600 at the time. Here is his email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.Here is their location:OldSchoolCarbs1346 The Alameda Suite 7-80San Jose CA 95126
Phone: 408-921-1735
The following user(s) said Thank You: f_schenk

Last edit: by giorgi3. Reason: left some stuff out

Looking for the person that rebuilds/refurbishes KZ1300 carbs for around $650.00 1 year 5 months ago #30836

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Man, I can't stand it !! $600 to rebuild a set of KZ13 carbs is like stealing Halloween candy from a kid and making him sit down in front of you while you eat it all. It's a sin !!
Out of ALL of the POSSIBLE  issues that one might have to deal with on a KZ13, the most easiest to rectify with little consequences if you make a mistake, is rebuilding /syncing carbs. Even the biggest concern of dealing with a malfunctioning cam chain tensioner is a harder job to do than rebuilding carbs because if you make a mistake all hell will break loose. If you know what a screwdriver is and understand the concept of "righty tighty, lefty loosey and you can follow instructions, you can rebuild  your carbs. THEN take the credit for doing it yourself. We're here to help you through it otherwise, why do we even get involved on this Forum?
I challenge you to challenge yourself. One our members needed to completely rebuild his engine and if I remember right, couldn't find anyone to do it for him. We convinced him to dive in head first and we'd help and low and behold, he got her done !! The key to doing a job the first time is attention to detail. Take pictures, make notes. Follow instructions, reference the Service Manual and when it doesn't make sense, ask questions. We're here to answer your needs.
Sorry if this sounds like me blowing steam but that's just me. In my entire life, I have never paid anyone to do work for me personally.

KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, tackelhappy, f_schenk

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Looking for the person that rebuilds/refurbishes KZ1300 carbs for around $650.00 1 year 5 months ago #30837

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Jack Wagner is now semi-retiring and had zero interest in rebuilding my KZ 1979 carbs.
Used Jack for the 81 CBX and was way worth ALL the $$$. New internal components, e.g. upgraded bits and pieces for new ethanol fuels, new cross over pipes, screws, etc.. 

Perhaps the trip deuce KZ carbs are easier than 6 discrete carbs all linked together?

Guess I'm the outside opinion on this topic but will HONESTLY report back on the carb build by George L.

First gotta get outta nuclear jail...

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds