Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New Idle jets vs. old 5 years 7 months ago #21009

• roadhazard
  • Thank you received: 6
Looks like a bit of JB Weld on the end of a piece of copper rod glued to the top of the jet.
1980 Kz 1300 b2 touring
1980 kz 1300 A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Idle jets vs. old 5 years 7 months ago #21010

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

roadhazard wrote: Looks like a bit of JB Weld on the end of a piece of copper rod glued to the top of the jet.

I have JB Weld but only used it once. But now that you mention it, I think you've got it !! Still need to know the "why"?

I've tig welded thousands of welds with Linde 65 welding rod and that's what we're looking at. 3/32" diameter I think. Copper coated low carbon steel welding rod.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

New Idle jets vs. old 5 years 7 months ago #21011

• mizztheman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
And the prize goes to “ ROADHAZARD”. unfortunately there is no actual prize but well done. It’s a piece of 2.5 mm2 copper cable, ground to a point and keyed to allow the JB weld to bond to the copper wire.

And the reason for doing this, well, the last time I cleaned the carbs out I used an ill fitting screw driver to install the pilot jets and on two of them the screw driver slipped and burred the end of the jet. When I tried to remove them this time round, although they screwed out of their own seating they wouldn’t come past the threads of the idle jet cap thread.

I tried a piece of copper wire with a small piece of solder on the end of the wire and used a soldering iron to try and solder the end of the wire onto the jet but the carb body was acting as a heat sink and wouldn’t allow the solder to run.

I eventually put a small blob of JB weld onto the end of the copper wire and carefully placed it through the hole and onto the top of the jet. Left it in place for 24 hours and then twisted the jet out of the threaded hole.

I’ve renewed all the jets with brand new Mikuni ones and screwed them into place with a correctly fitting screwdriver which I ground to a perfect fit on my grinding wheel.

Moral of the story. Listen to what Scotch said about correctly fitting screwdrivers and you won’t have the problems I’ve just encountered.

Carbs will be going back on the bike tonight and another road test.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, DannyKZ, Kawboy

Last edit: by mizztheman.

New Idle jets vs. old 5 years 7 months ago #21012

• roadhazard
  • Thank you received: 6

mizztheman wrote: And the prize goes to “ ROADHAZARD”. unfortunately there is no actual prize but well done. It’s a piece of 2.5 mm2 copper cable, ground to a point and keyed to allow the JB weld to bond to the copper wire.

And the reason for doing this, well, the last time I cleaned the carbs out I used an ill fitting screw driver to install the pilot jets and on two of them the screw driver slipped and burred the end of the jet. When I tried to remove them this time round, although they screwed out of their own seating they wouldn’t come passed the threads of the idle jet cap thread.

I tried a piece of copper wire with a small piece of solder on the end of the wire and used a soldering iron to try and solder the end of the wire onto the jet but the carb body was acting as a heat sink and wouldn’t allow the solder to run.

I eventually put a small blob of JB weld onto the end of the copper wire and carefully placed it through the hole and onto the top of the jet. Left it in place for 24 hours and then twisted the jet out of the threaded hole.

Yea, I"m well versed in solutions like this. Any time you work on old bikes,lawnmowers,cars or virtually any of the worn out junk around my house you have to be creative.:)

1980 Kz 1300 b2 touring
1980 kz 1300 A2
The following user(s) said Thank You: mizztheman

New Idle jets vs. old 5 years 7 months ago #21013

• mizztheman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Well, the carbs are back on and after starting it up there was a noticeable difference. The bike ticks over much more smoothly and seems to rev cleanly in the lower rev range.

The misfire that occurred between 1500 and 2500 only happened when the engine was under load so it was time to take the bike for a road test. And the verdict ...........................................the misfire has gone. Yippee, to be honest I had my doubts but those new jets seem to have cured the problem. The real test will come tomorrow when I take the bike out to the local bike meet as I only put a few miles on the bike tonight.

Big thanks to Scotch for the extensive research into this subject and to everyone else for their suggestions.

I’ll post more details after my ride out tomorrow.

Regards

Martin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, Kawboy

New Idle jets vs. old 5 years 7 months ago #21014

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Thanks mizztheman ! Appreciate the feed-back and confirmation !

I guess no one else has any issues with starting or running ?
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds