Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dealing with the hard start issue 5 years 10 months ago #20299

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Stan - Playing the Devils Advocate and with some bias: If your theory holds true then I am, in affect, dealing with the "Ethanol Crisis" with a permanent fix. Which is cheaper with a few $$ of tubing and a couple of hours time then having to add $eaFoam continually. It's getting very difficult (here at least) to find Ethanol free fuel.

I'm disgusted every time I run a shiny-clean rebuilt set for a short test ride and then see what the fuel has deposited down-wind of the jets in only a few Kilometers.
The syrup colored stain wipes off easily with lacquer thinner when fresh but can take some real rubbing when there's 100's/1000's of miles on the carbs.
It's what we have to live with !
But, good thought though a bit late. Fuel and seals ? Search on this Forum. It went along for some time and covered exactly what you describe.!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dealing with the hard start issue 5 years 10 months ago #20301

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I think your carbs and the bike gets so much attention, just mentioning it would grant an instant divorce judgment against you in the court of the marital law! haha
I'm sorry if it's an out of place joke, I know nothing about you except you're scotch jumping off planes and.... loving your bike! Take this ignorant assuming joke with a grain of salt as I did when I posted it ;)

I bet this has been discussed, not sure if searches would enlighten me since it's pretty straight forward. Just wanted to share my experience and get another 'thank you', at which I failed miserably. Overall, I find it very strange that Kawasaki would put all this technology running a decade with a significant success, if the result would be thousands of bikes that can't start? That's why I think there must be something 'there' when it come to past versus present. Using no ethanol worked wonders for me for a similar age bike, that's all.

Now I am going to get a beer and cut my veins, hahaha

Last edit: by StanG.

Dealing with the hard start issue 5 years 10 months ago #20302

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
The gas in these parts is labelled as: 'may contain up to 10% ethanol'. I use 'regular gas' in several 80's era bikes and have never experienced any ill effects - not sure if that's an indication that there's not really much ethanol in the gas around here or if the ethanol in gas problem is a bit overstated.

I've also never found Seafoam to do anything except make my wallet lighter.

Gentlemen, light your torches. :)
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Dealing with the hard start issue 5 years 10 months ago #20303

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Haha, of course I should be taken with a grain of salt here, having some fun as well with silly side comments.

But truly, switching to no ethanol in case of that Goldwing fixed starting issues. And Seafoam worked wonders for me. Had a bad response from carbs on my more modern Vmax (2007). Disconnected the fuel pump hose, attached a little container with Seafoam, let it run until died carbs filled with Seafoam. Left overnight. Repeat - drain, fuel, Seafoam, dead, stop, leave, drain. Next time attached the fuel hose, ran like a charm. Just my experience I vouch for, that's all.

We are going to have a tequila on fire when meeting with scotch! (*already promised)

Dealing with the hard start issue 5 years 10 months ago #20309

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Stan - Nothing wrong with an opinion validated on experience.
Camp-fires and tequila? More then once ........after the plane and equipment were retired for the day. Always lots of beer (fire retardant foam) in case of an emergency.
Play hard - Play safe !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Dealing with the hard start issue 5 years 10 months ago #20314

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Yep Scotch, follow you thinking and it makes sense, and reassuring too!
Makes your mod and test all the more impressive.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds