Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Throttle position sensor Adjustment 6 years 9 months ago #16767

• razmo99
  • razmo99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Just wondering if their is a preferred method for adjusting the TPS, Kawasaki uses a special tool which is NLA.

Is their another method to adjust it?

Any input on this would be much appreciated
84 ZG1300
81 KZ1300-A3
83 GT550
90 GPZ900R
83 KZ550
81 KZ550(in parts)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Throttle position sensor Adjustment 6 years 9 months ago #16771

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
In the absence of a response from somebody who is clued up on the injected models : -
There might be some guidance in the supplement to the service manual. Perhaps you could use a multimeter, set to measure resistance .
There are several posts on the americanvoyager forum concerning the throttle position sensor, in particular with regard to cleaning the internal contacts.
Hope someone else chimes in.

Throttle position sensor Adjustment 6 years 9 months ago #16772

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Normally I chime in when I see a request for info. But in the case of the Voyager DFI , I have no direct experience with this system, only a lot of general experience with DFI systems from the automotive and snowmobiles. So forgive me for not posting prior to this.
There is some worthy info on the American Voyager site suggesting that one of the members tried to purchase the Kawasaki tool and it's no loinger available. Another member found a work around for this situation and in reading his input, I tend to believe it's the next best way to adjust when the Kawasaki tool is not available. His method was to get his hands on a Colortune tool and install. Fire up the bike and adjust the throttle position sensor to achieve the desired color in the Colortune window. Makes perfect sense to me.
The "other option" as I see it - on page 3-18 of the supplement it suggests the output terminal to ground measurement on the throttle sensor at the 1,000rpm throttle test point should read between 2.1 and 4.2 k Ohms. Normally when a span (range) of acceptable readings are given the + - difference is split equally i.e. the median of 2.1 and 4.2 is 3.15 so in the absense of the Kawasaki tool I would be setting the throttle sensor to read 3.15 K Ohms.

Throttle position sensor Adjustment 6 years 9 months ago #16773

• razmo99
Cheers Fellas,

I'll have to give that colourtune a go.

I have a coloutune but it is 12mm diameter need an adapter to 14mm
84 ZG1300
81 KZ1300-A3
83 GT550
90 GPZ900R
83 KZ550
81 KZ550(in parts)

Throttle position sensor Adjustment 6 years 8 months ago #16805

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
A little tip here is to mark where the original setting is by using a scriber. I had a go at adjusting mine but found no improvement adjusting it either way so set it back to the original position. I think you only need that tool to set up the TPS if it's been replaced.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Throttle position sensor Adjustment 6 years 8 months ago #16815

• razmo99
Cheers, Phil

That's exactly what I have ended up doing, I marked it all up with a sharpie and their are some scratches from where someone else scribed it. When I adjusted it, it changed the throttle so that when closed the injectors would turn off, and the bike would die when coming to a stop but would idle when started. I have since put it back to the location I found it. which resolved, this issue.
84 ZG1300
81 KZ1300-A3
83 GT550
90 GPZ900R
83 KZ550
81 KZ550(in parts)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds