Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel cap lock 7 years 3 weeks ago #16036

• Zed1300
  • Zed1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
That's perfect , thanks guys...... Got a pin punch and it came straight out to my surprise !!!!
The latch part was jammed with abit of corrosion but freed up, will let it soak for a couple of days and take it up tothe locksmith to get it sorted out with a new barrel / key etc
Thanks again for the help
Cheers ted

[/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel cap lock 7 years 3 weeks ago #16053

• Zed1300
Hi hillsy
Just got back from the locksmith and he said it can't be taken apart or fixed?
I would settle to have it working but unlock able as yours is so wondering how you dismantled it
Cheers ted

Fuel cap lock 7 years 2 weeks ago #16056

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
If you can't get it fixed , the cheap replacements do fit and work , but as Scotch mentioned , they have no breather. Maybe the tank overflow pipe allows air into the tank as the fuel is used ? I had a look at the replacements on the german site , and from the small photo they have , they look like the ones I bought - the rather pathetic keys they show sitting in the lock is the give away. Maybe someone who has bought one from them can verify- there are not many options .
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Fuel cap lock 7 years 2 weeks ago #16063

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
"Everything" can be taken apart ! :woohoo:
The fuel tank must be vented to allow air into the tank as the fuel level decreases. Conversely, if the tank is full to the top on a hot day, the vent also acts as a fuel over-flow. The grommet that seals the nipple to the cap must be in good condition ! Not so important for replacement air to come in as the fuel level drops, but really important for an "over-filled" condition in order to get the excess fuel to the ground via the vent hose rather then leaking from the cap and having that fuel run all over the tank and engine!

Pictures are my '80 fuel cap. I had my cap completely apart years ago to de-gum the lock and don't recall any issues in disassembling or re-assembling it. It appears that Kawasaki changed their design slightly.

While on the topic: You can ensure your vent is clear by running a pipe-cleaner through it. Pictures are self explanatory. Note: Use some tape or place a rag in the open filler when re & re'ing the cap to avoid dropping the cap attachment screws into the tank ! Make sure your string-knots and the twisted loop in the pipe cleaner are secure ! Both ends of the pipe cleaner should be "strung". This way, If one end comes off in the vent you can pull it back out with the other end! To get the string through the vent tube, Tie several knots in one end of the string, insert it into the vent and use compressed air to blow it through. Works like a charm. If it won't then you either have the knots too large or there is an obstruction which will require you to reduce the size of the knot until it will pass through. Use a white or light colored pipe-cleaner to witness any debris. You might be surprised what comes out !

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Fuel cap lock 7 years 2 weeks ago #16105

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25

Zed1300 wrote: Hi hillsy
Just got back from the locksmith and he said it can't be taken apart or fixed?
I would settle to have it working but unlock able as yours is so wondering how you dismantled it
Cheers ted

The circular bit towards the bottom in this pic should pop out revealing the locking wafer for the tumbler. Then you push the wafer up with a pick and the tumbler should pop out the front of the cap:

My lock looks different to yours - here's a link to the thread I made about changing / re-keying locks:

www.caferacer.net/forum/technical/29745-...ion-helmet-lock.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy

Fuel cap lock 7 years 2 weeks ago #16111

• Zed1300
Thanks all for the input. I got it home from the locksmith and after studying it figured the cylinder needed to rotate to release but was siezed. Sat at my desk and gave it a spray and a few taps whilst holding pressure on the key and it move slightly. It's now working great but just a little concerned why the locksmith didn't sort it out !!!!!
Thanks again everyone

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds