Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress so far... 3 years 3 days ago #29087

• fineline
  • fineline's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Ok here's the pics. I hope I didn't go to OTT on the blow by blow of it all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Progress so far... 3 years 2 days ago #29090

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Looks like the makings of a good repair job. I wonder how it came to be damaged in that section. 

Progress so far... 3 years 2 days ago #29091

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks biltonjim, I noticed the tail light bracket had also been repaired too. I'm sure it's connected to the frame being bent.   

A failed test attempt at doing a pinstripe. I thought the tape name might bring me luck.  so I'll add the pinstripes afterwards instead. Maybe  didn't allow the paint enough drying time. The side panel looked very gangsta in gold though.   

Progress so far... 3 years 4 hours ago #29100

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Had you considered painting the stripes like this:

I heard a story , I think it was about this guy's predecessor. It was said that he used to have a tot of whiskey before painting the line, in the bizarre belief that it steadied his hand. 

Progress so far... 2 years 11 months ago #29101

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Unfortunately I couldn't paint or draw a straight line to save my life.   I would love to be able to do that!
 I hear the some bikes like Harleys sometimes have tape stripe with clear coat on top. I'm going to give that a shot. It's not my ideal way but as long as it looks good I'll be happy with that. The gold paint I used first time was not very good quality, just diy shop rattle can. Next time I use that method I'll make sure I go for a better paint.

The back of my old van being used for a makeshift paint booth.   Saves me getting 2k in the house.
Attachments:

Progress so far... 2 years 10 months ago #29215

• fineline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Just to finish up this rebuild. I had a scary moment cleaning the carbs. 3 pilot jets were stuck. 2 of them had undone but wouldn't drop out because of burrs. (wrong size of screwdriver in the past I'm sure). The other Pilot jet was mashed completely, with no head left at all...  This was like this when I bought the bike, as the last time I cleaned the carbs I couldn't get these jets out for this reason. I thought that could be the reason I have a popping sound on idle plus If I don't use the bike for more than a week or 2 I have to use easystart. Not ideal.
Anyway I ran out of nerve and ideas so I cheated and got my local machine shop to remove them. They did a nice job. So I replaced 4 of the pilot jets and cleaned the carbs with scotches excellent carb cleaning tool until all orifices were clear. Then checked the float levels which looked good to me. The photo might be a bit misleading due to the angle. 

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds