Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

crank case 3 years 7 months ago #27736

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
The 1300 Oil Level Sensor is a very basic system and not really to be relied on as I found out many years ago.
I had an A1 with the deep sump and the sensor fitted and number 5 cylinder seized at the crank which then snapped the con rod and came out throught the front of the crank cases...............all at around 90 mph on the M1.
Through all this the oil light never even flickered, yet there was only 3 litres in sump when I did the post mortem. The bike had burned 3 litres of oil over 400 miles before it happened...........and I was non the wiser as was relying on the light coming on in advance of an issue................how wrong I was.

Even if you have the correct amount of oil in the motor and accellerate hard, you often see the oil light come on as the oil level alters, which frightens the life out of anyone !!

Agreed that the only certain way is to use the Level Glass and keep the level up to near the top !!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville, CWB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

crank case 3 years 7 months ago #27737

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

McBoney wrote: Ha, thanks for the education. I thought is was a pressure sensor.... now I know it is a level sensor it is still useful, but my attention to oil level spy glass won't be diminished.

Paul

Depends which edition of 1300 you have. If I'm not mistaken, some have one or the other and some have both pressure and level sensors.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

crank case 3 years 7 months ago #27738

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
All 1300's have an Oil Pressure Switch which on most models is located under the front right hand engine cover in the crank cases. Large round unit with a single screw terminal connector.

I "Think" the Oil LEVEL Sensor only came in on the A3 models with the deep sump fitted from the factory, menaing it has both.

Both of these send the signal to the red light on warning light panel.

Pete F
UK

crank case 3 years 7 months ago #27739

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

strate6 wrote: All 1300's have an Oil Pressure Switch which on most models is located under the front right hand engine cover in the crank cases. Large round unit with a single screw terminal connector.

I "Think" the Oil LEVEL Sensor only came in on the A3 models with the deep sump fitted from the factory, menaing it has both.

Both of these send the signal to the red light on warning light panel.

Pete F
UK

On Partzilla Partzilla- 1979 KZ1300 Oil Pan diagram engine # 016038 and up
shows 2 possible oil pans. Prior to engine # 016038 the oil level switch was not available. After engine # 16038 the oil level switch showed up item #25.
Partzilla- 1979 KZ1300 Oil Pan diagram prior to engine # 016037 no level switch

Now an interesting fact The Voyager crankcase has an oil passage already drilled, tapped and plugged in the location where the oil pressure switch is located on the KZ1300 crankcase, so an oil pressure switch could easily be incorporated on the Voyager.
Patzilla 1986 ZN1300 crankcase diagram item # 92066-059

Last edit: by Kawboy.

crank case 3 years 7 months ago #27741

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Why on earth would Kawasaki NOT fit an oil pressure warning on the Voyager? Imagine the engine seizing at high speed!

crank case 3 years 7 months ago #27742

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

biltonjim wrote: Why on earth would Kawasaki NOT fit an oil pressure warning on the Voyager? Imagine the engine seizing at high speed!

Thats beyond me too......................after having one engine on a 1300 go into melt down, I would not want to ride any bike without an effective oil pressure warning system !

Pete F
UK

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds