Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22193

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
That seat looks great Frank!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22200

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Montana:

billings.craigslist.org/bar/d/1980-kawas...1300/6727290716.html

In previous ads he said $1000. I don’t see a price on this one.

Found another. See For Sale

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22204

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank, I'm not familiar with the different models and years of the 13 ? Did tKawasaki originally start with a "naked" KZ1300 then move to a touring "Voyager" during it's production ?

I prefer the Gas Tank not have a gauge cluster on it. Also,I like a carb. set-up especially if Hot-Roding the motor later.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22205

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
In the US, for the KZ1300 we had both A (Naked) and B (Touring) models. The A and B models are similar and people have converted B's to A's. The main differences that I know of on the 'B' frames is they have a bracket on the head to hold the fairing and they don't have rear turn signal mounts. All of these models have carbs. None of these bikes had gauges on the tank. There are 3 different tanks though. Not sure if all 3 where available in the US. So 1979 had only As. 1980-81 had As and Bs.

I don't think the US had 1982 models. Or maybe those where the A4 models. I've never seen one in the US, but I'm not an expert...

The Voyagers are ZN1300 models (1983 on) and are quite different. Frames are completely different, many engine parts (including internals) are different. All of these models have FI.

Other parts of the world continued to get KZs when we got ZNs, so they have KZs with FI in the later years.

For me personally, the 1981 A3 model would be most desirable as it has all the improvements.

Last edit: by Frank833.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22207

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank, that last bike you Posted on the For Sale $800, is that carbureted ? So I'm assuming that the KZ's are carbureted and the Voyagers are fuel injected ?

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22209

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Actually the 1982 A4 model was in the US. It came with a 'peanut' shape tank. They are rare, I've been actually told this is the rarest of the models therefore rarely seen. I heard 'California' referred to them, and mine has the 'CA' in the VIN serial number (most available are A1 - A2). The A4 comes with all the latest whistles of the carbureted models, including two alternators and those discussed 20 holes pistons, the engine is very wide because of this (not the pistons lol). I've literally built mine from scratch including chrome plating all that you see (and some you don't). It was a messy wreck with most parts missing, but only 8k miles, so pretty much a new bike after putting all new in the top end, and every bearing, seal, brake system component, as well. The black is standard Kawasaki ivory black, but I put off adding the stripes for later - I like the modern twist to this bike with this black theme. Sorry for bragging but I put so much heart into it! And yes, I built in my living room!! haha

There are also 'naked' ZG models, and they are fuel injected. I think these were European.
Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds