Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 5 months ago #28110

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Well done, Paul. What’s it like to ride?
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 5 months ago #28111

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Can we get a video of the bike being ridden to get an idea of the sound level and as others have already said great job

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 5 months ago #28116

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thank you all, you all have been a great help, making the whole process incredibly enjoyable.

I have taken it for a quick ride with the old exhaust and it is a monster! Quite heavy to manoeuvre not under power, but once it gets going incredibly quick. Particularly over 3000 rpm it takes off and the brakes are FAR better than my KZ1000P's which I imagine is what the original KZ1300's are like. But as the engine is essentially new, I need to be careful with the revs for a while, so haven't opened it up completely yet. I expect to be scared sh*tless and/or blown off! :P

I still have not heard from my insurance company so can't take it out for a ride yet - and we are in lock down now, so the coppers WILL pull me over if they see/hear me - but for certain a riding video will come.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 5 months ago #28118

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I am looking forward to seeing a hearing a drive by with that exhaust
excellent build post.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 5 months ago #28119

• Jafsteph
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Very nice

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 10 months ago #29314

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi all, quick update.

I've done 600-odd miles now and am getting used to it. I have also taken the revs up a little higher and it really goes! But the ride is quite firm!

I have upgraded the small 'beep-beep' horn to an air horn with the compressor located in the headlight. Riding in London it has saved my life at least twice already, even with my loud pipes! I have also discovered that my petcock needs a vacuum line to operate properly, so connected that to the vacuum pipe on top of cylinder 3. And I have wrapped the handlebars in leather. They are now a little thicker and easier to hold with far better grip with leather gloves. Other than that the bike is as was a few months ago. 

Unfortunately it seems the rear MC piston is leaking... small drips under the bike and empty reservoir. Whilst opening it up the diaphragm disintegrated. Anyone know where I can get a new one? Is it same size as front brake reservoir? (my front is non-standard, so I can't compare). I know the piston rubber sleeves are same size so will get a new set. 

Three breakdowns to date:

1) Ran out of fuel due to petcock not working properly - issue solved
2) Fan broke off its spindle. Re-attached with superglue and a metal retaining washer - all fine now.
3) The mystery breakdown: I was riding along, then it feels like the clutch cable snapped. But it still had a little bite right at the end although not enough to change gear with, so I had to stop. Coasted to a Shell station and opened up the cover plate using some borrowed Allan keys. The cable was fine, but the whole assembly  seemed to have slipped about a centimetre. All I had to do to get going again was adjust the cable tensioner where it goes into the housing and it all worked again.

But I can't think what actually happened? Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Paul

Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds