Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 B Model 6 years 3 months ago #18391

• Dinohyus
  • Dinohyus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Good evening men and ladies!
Will be bringing home a 1980 KZ1300 B Model and a 1982 750 Spectre as soon as the weather warms a bit and the snow/ice clear off of the roads.
Both run but they both need a bit of work to run right. The 1300 has priority and will be getting tires, brakes or at the minimum new fluid and lines. Will go through the carbs and rebuild the front forks with new seals, oil and new Progressive spring and shocks too.
I do not want the fairing nor bags (yet anyway).
I live south of the South Dakota Black Hills and 5~6 hours ride distance to Yellowstone.
I do not have a camera to take and post pictures yet either. I suppose I ought to fix that and get one.
and my silhouette hangs like a body bag
hope is a moment now long past,
the shadow of death is the one I cast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 B Model 6 years 3 months ago #18401

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Welcome to the Forum !!. Looking forward to seeing what you bought and finding out your plans for the bike(s). Pics are ALWAYS appreciated.

There's a really great section in the KZ1300 FAQ tab I hope you have browsed through and if not I would suggest you do. The wealth of info under that tab is priceless. It will let you know what you're in for. Don't be afraid to post your questions. The members here are awesome when you need help.

I jerked the fifth wheel down to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore last summer. Also went to see my son who works in the oil well business in Cheyenne. Beautiful area to ride in and speed limit of 80 mph. is also sweet. Not like the rest of Canada stuck at 100 kph. (or 62mph) although the coppers won't dink you till you exceed 120 kph (70 mph).
Looking forward to future posts. When you finally decide to post your efforts please start a new topic so we can follow it like a new project.

Cheers,
Kawboy

1980 B Model 6 years 3 months ago #18405

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Yes, please do buy a camera! I like the B2 model. I guess it is probably the rarest variant of the 1300. I also like the Spectre models, so it would be nice to see photos of that.

1980 B Model 6 years 3 months ago #18410

• Dinohyus
  • Dinohyus's Avatar Topic Author
Appreciate the welcome! And thanks for the tip on the FAQ's.
It was a two for one price/deal. The Spectre is going to a friend.

Up until two years ago I was one of the mechanics at the local Honda/Yamaha dealership. Now I am a counter, parts, old bike trouble shooter, and stuff like that guy :)
I've owned and work on so many different brands and models (BSA to Yamaha no Ariel or Zundapp yet) over the past near 50 years it would take a bit to list them.
This will be my first KZ1300.

I spent just over a week in Wyoming a few years ago just nibshittin on a modified and somewhat breathed on 1980 KZ1000 LTD. One of my favorite places to ride.
and my silhouette hangs like a body bag
hope is a moment now long past,
the shadow of death is the one I cast

1980 B Model 6 years 3 months ago #18427

• Haggler
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Welcome Dino, looking forward to the pics and bet you've a shed load of tales and advice from your experiences. Enjoy your stay ;)

1980 B Model 6 years 3 months ago #18439

• tx4726
Welcome to this forum from a fellow B2 owner. I bought mine new and still have it. Last spring I got it back on its feet and, last summer, rode it on a 800 mile trip through southern Colorado. I had to replace the coils, brake lines, cam chain tensioner and tires. The carbs were a mess as were the brakes (both master cylinders and wheel cylinders), but the job was a success and worth it. I wouldn't scrap the fairing and bags until you have a chance to take it for a spin. You might like having them after you ride with them installed. The reaction of people on the trip towards an old bike were amazing. I was surprised at the number of people who commented on it.
1980 KZ1300 B Original owner, 2010 Concours 1400, 1986 Yamaha XT 600, 1984 Suzuki SP250, 1985 SP 200, Yamaha Grizzley 600. Too many toys.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds