Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18233

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Thank you mizztheman! This engine painting subject is giving me a headache!... So many stories, and some paint available here, some not.
I just called a powder and ceramic coating place, and the guy said all must be stripped from anything what is not metal - seals and so on. Even said you can't have o-rings in the cylinder block because of heat treatment.
I am going to check out the links you provided. It worked for you, it has to work for me! And your bike is looking great! I'm trying to accomplish a similar look, except for the black engine theme.
Stan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18332

• mizztheman
  • mizztheman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
A bit more progress this week with the front wheel painted and new tyre fitted. Brake calipers installed and all bled. Surprised how easily they bled as I’ve had problems with other brake systems I’ve restored in the past. Was going to fit the exhausts tonight then remembered I’ve forgot to order new seals for the exhaust header to collector box. Hopefully they’ll come before Christmas. Decided to have the collector boxes ceramic coated. That should keep the rust at bay for a few years.
Attachments:

Last edit: by mizztheman.

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18336

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I always enjoy these types of pictures as progress brings a bike and owner closer together ( this time of year) . jeez - that should be on a Christmas card.:S
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18337

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
mizztheman - which plugs did you use on cylinder 3 and 4? 1 and 6 is the short type I see, and 2 and 5 long.

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18338

• mizztheman
  • mizztheman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Hi Stan,

I used the longer plug caps for cylinders 2,3,4 and 5. Here’s some photos to show you how I’ve done it. You’ll notice that the plugs caps for cylinders 3 and 4 are quite close to the cam cover but if I shorten the HT lead by about an inch it will give more clearance. I don’t expect any issues with them being that close.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by mizztheman.

Progress so far. 6 years 3 months ago #18339

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
The front wheel and fork etc. looks great. Which make / type of tires have you chosen?
The ceramic coating on the exhaust collector looks good too. I've just started reading up on the process. Seems you can have different types of finish - I wonder if it would be a good choice for the cylinder block and head.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds